Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default .223 and 5.56 Nato.. Difference..

".223 Remington vs. 5.56 NATO: What You Don’t Know Could Hurt You"

Is firing a 5.56 NATO cartridge in your .223 Remington chambered AR15 dangerous? Or do Internet forum-ninjas and ammunition companies selling you commercial ammo instead of surplus overstate the dangers? Believe it or not, a real danger exists, and some gun owners who think they are doing the right thing may not be safe.
http://www.humanevents.com/2011/02/1...ould-hurt-you/

Yes yes you guys who have been re-loading for a long time know this..
But for us new guys getting into serious re-loading, kind of an interesting read.
People are fighting over brass at the ranges..
5.56 brass does not even hit the ground and guys are catching it in mid air.
New guys read this, before yah re-load em..
My Bro is loading them and I keep telling him his primers are not set deep enough, their raised above the casing.
He will not listen, so I stay some distance from him when were at the range.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Icarus
BUNKER FUNKER

223 down a 556 cool
556 down a 223 NOT COOL

SON OF THE SOUTH, MAN OF THE BLUES

TITTIES

Dont make me have to do it!

3. Never stick it in crazy.

I STAND WITH ISRAEL

MoLoN LaBe MOTHERFUCKER

3%

To compel a man to subsidize with
his taxes the propagation of ideas which he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Editor’s Note: This article on .223 vs 5.56 comparisons is an excerpt from Gun Digest 2013, the world’s greatest gun book.
.223 vs 5.56: A History

by Patrick Sweeney

To a whole lot of shooters, ammo is ammo—if it fits, it shoots. These shooters tend to be the guys with seriously tired, worn, or even busted firearms. They also tend to focus on the wrong thing; you know, the guy who scrubs the brass marks off his ejector lump, at least until one day his rifle stops working or breaks into many pieces.

Ammo is not ammo. And when doing a .223 vs 5.56 comparison, while the loads are almost identical, they are not the same. To know why, we have to go back to the beginning.

Long, interesting article here: http://www.gundigest.com/223-vs-5-56
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
55chevy

Nice long article that probably could have been much shorter. Couple of issues that were not mentioned and should have been IMO. Primer pockets on military have the primer crimped in place and if reloaded need the pockets to be reamed or swedged to get rid of the crimped portion. Military brass is a thicker wall construction in the cartridge case than commercial brass. This causes a pressure increase if loaded to commercial specs. This also holds true for other military ammo versus commercial, IE, .308 and 7.62 x 51 and others.
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
JD Miller
Fake Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55chevy View Post
Nice long article that probably could have been much shorter. Couple of issues that were not mentioned and should have been IMO. Primer pockets on military have the primer crimped in place and if reloaded need the pockets to be reamed or swedged to get rid of the crimped portion. Military brass is a thicker wall construction in the cartridge case than commercial brass. This causes a pressure increase if loaded to commercial specs. This also holds true for other military ammo versus commercial, IE, .308 and 7.62 x 51 and others.
Yep, Even some commercial brass is thicker than others. Same powder load in Remington brass may create higher preasure than that same powder load in WW brass
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
10 Bears

I've trimmed many a milspec primer pocket to accept primers.
Absolute necessity if you don't want to RUIN that primer.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

so given a decent supply of 5.56, two other AR's in 5.56, should i have the Colt Sporter chambered for 5.56 ?
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
4thIDvet
slug

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopshot View Post
so given a decent supply of 5.56, two other AR's in 5.56, should i have the Colt Sporter chambered for 5.56 ?
Good question flopshot, I do not know? Guess? the dimensions are the same, cept for being thicker on the inside?
If loaded for .223 with the proper charge, would imagine it would work?
Accuracy I do not know?
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Rew

Yes, have it chambered in 5.56. .223 loads are fine heck .223 dies are fine. In a 5.56 chamber you can safely use either round. Not so in a .223 chamber.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
hangfire
Home on the range

I never understood why anyone would even want a .223 chambered AR-15.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfire View Post
I never understood why anyone would even want a .223 chambered AR-15.
wasn't all the early ones .223?
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
wasn't all the early ones .223?
Not sure boon? Military gave us big boxes of ammo. Never really looked..
If they fit in the mags we put them in.. Hell if the gun blew up, we just grabbed another one.
We had more guns than guys to use them. Wish the hell I mailed some home, nobody knew what the hell was going on.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
10 Bears

I think they were all .223 untill it became a NATO round.
Then it was re-designated and made stronger for other folks chambers.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
pfalz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Not sure boon? Military gave us big boxes of ammo. Never really looked..
If they fit in the mags we put them in.. Hell if the gun blew up, we just grabbed another one.
We had more guns than guys to use them. Wish the hell I mailed some home, nobody knew what the hell was going on.
What was given to me was.222, told don't think about just shoot it.

Any way this is how the difference was explained to me

The significant difference between the .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO lies in the rifles, rather than the cartridges themselves. Both the .223 and 5.56 rounds will chamber in rifles designed for either cartridge, but the critical component, leade, will be different in each rifle.

The leade is the area of the barrel in front of the chamber prior to where the rifling begins. This is where the loaded bullet is located when a cartridge is chambered. The leade is frequently called the “throat.”

On a .223 Remington spec rifle, the leade will be 0.085”. This is the standard described by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI). The leade in a 5.56 NATO spec rifle is 0.162”, or almost double the leade of the .223 rifle.

A shorter leade in a SAAMI spec rifle creates a situation where the bullet in a 5.56 NATO round, when chambered, can contact the rifling prior to being fired. By having contact with the rifling prematurely (at the moment of firing), chamber pressure can be dramatically increased, creating the danger of a ruptured case or other cartridge/gun failure.

The reverse situation, a .223 Rem round in a 5.56 NATO gun, isn’t dangerous. The leade is longer, so a slight loss in velocity and accuracy may be experienced, but there is not a danger of increased pressures and subsequent catastrophic failure.
pfalz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
4thIDvet
slug

Interesting pfalz thank you.. Yeah I really really never touched an M-16 till I got where I was going.
11-H10 trained, recoilless rifle..
Then when I got where I was going, which was out in "Where the Fagowy."
"Just grab something. Their is a pile of crap over there FNG.."
How the hell does this thing work?
"You put the magazine in here, do not put a round in the chamber till we tell yah. Pull this lever back, chamber a round and put it on full auto. Then squeeze the trigger stupid."
O.K. who do I shoot?
"Oh we got us a dumb one here. If they shoot at yah shoot back stupid."
Damn you guys are cool. Can I go home, I think Mom has dinner ready.