Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 01-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #16
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier176
I would like to know how, but I agree that for safety reasons, you need to force your libturd servants to make it for you, out in the shed. That way, if worst, comes to worst, only the libs get killed!
If you want to know "how to", just google "how to make black powder" You will find plenty of very good websites. I've already printed all the information on how to make it in case I need that knowledge some day and those kind of sites are shut down...... or if I no longer have access to a computer.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #17
airmung

Congrats on the quest for further knowledge and capability, in spite of catching flack from others! Me, I am trying to learn more about reloading primers and making smokeless....and swaging jacketed bullets. I can cast bullets for everything I own, but jacketed bullets offer better performance for most calibers. I can swage .224, .357, .44, and .308 so far, but am looking for swaging dies for a few more calibers. Reloading primers seems doable (with rigid safety precautions of course), but formulas for smokeless propellents seem a little sketchy at best, and rather hazardlous and precurser chemicals are increasingly difficult to find, at least without a lot of chemical conversion work. Wish I was more of an organic chemist! I fear that appropriate knowledge will shortly become unavailable and had best be acquired now before personal freedoms are further restricted by the upcoming regime change......
airmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #18
Bobrob
Cranky Old Guy

Been there; done that; missing three fingers to prove it!

I was 15 at the time, and had already made maybe 2 pounds, in small batches to improve the formulation and technique.

Like the October Sky movie, I was stuffing it inside a 3/4" aluminum pipe with a nozzle to make a really fast rocket. Had already sent off maybe a dozen or so, when I decided to change one of the main ingredients to speed up the burn rate.

Long story short; the LAST rocket detonated in my hand. Lucky I didn't loose my head eyes or another favorite part.

I agree with Sanders; its' good to know, but I hope I never have to make it again.
Bobrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #19
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I'm really NOT going to chime in too loud on this.
But using a mortor and pestal to mix the ingredients "DRY" is dumb.
Irregardless how carefull you "think" you are.

ONLY wet mixing is anywhere near safe.
THEN complete drying and screening.

It takes longer but it's a heck of a lot more safe.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
Bobrob
Cranky Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears
I'm really NOT going to chime in too loud on this.
But using a mortor and pestal to mix the ingredients "DRY" is dumb.
Irregardless how carefull you "think" you are.

ONLY wet mixing is anywhere near safe.
THEN complete drying and screening.

It takes longer but it's a heck of a lot more safe.
That's right.

still static discharge *will* (edit- can) ruin your whole day.
Bobrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Just to clear the air a bit, most of us HAVE made it and used it, and do not recommend the practice.

As usual the devil is in the details, it must be mixed wet, and when it dries you have another problem, one that's proven fatal to a lot of other people over the last 700 years or so.

Not giving anyone any "flak". Just to say BDDT and I advise against it.

And I'm not the only one here who knows what can be substituted for which when ingredients are in short supply or poor quality.

I had relatives who worked at the Badger Powder Plant outside Baraboo, WI.
The Main source for Army black and smokeless from WWII to maybe ten years ago, last time they blew up a couple buildings they decided to cancel. Experts, Chemical engineers, and highly experienced people with rigid safety rules and requirements.

You broke a safety rule or procedure ONE TIME and you were instantly unemployed (if you were still alive).

And they STILL blew up a building every couple of years.

The average guy with a book or two at his kitchen table doesn't even know what the rules are!

Most of us here are NOT like the preacher who hammers on the evils of "Demon Rum" EVERY Sunday, seemingly forever.

But quite a few of us here are the sort who think that one warning to someone should be sufficient, (being as we're used to people listening to what we have to say and all) if someone chooses to ignore it, that's their problem, courtesy, compassion and concern requirements have been met!

Wish no ill to anyone, but play with questionable explosives under iffy conditions long enough an eventual bad experience is sure to happen.

There was a reason that those 30-35 year old Demo guys I worked with (Seventh Engineers) looked 65 and tended to be very nervous. That and of course their lungs were shot from inhaling Dynamite and TNT fumes. They spoke, gave orders or answered questions and I listened to the answers, paid attention and did as I was told ( a new experience for me at the time.) I'd already had experience (I thought) with dynamite as one of my uncles had both a gravel pit and tree stumps on his farm, truth is ... I didn't know Sh*T about the safe use of that stuff.

No one is picking on anyone personally!

Some of us have merely passed on our advice and the warnings required by the discussion!

Good Luck All, and think safety, Paranoia can be your friend!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

I like toast

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon
I like toast
I would hate to hear you HAD been toasted!
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Toasted homemade whole wheat bread with lots of butter and ORANGE MARMALADE!

And a big glass of WHOLE MILK!

Breakfast!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5knives
And a big glass of WHOLE MILK!
Whole milk leads the way
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote