Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Default Anyone reload 7.62x39mm ?

The most recent success with reloading has made me ponder the possiblities of reloading 7.62x39mm cartridges. Everybody knows that you can get junk ammo for about 12 or 13 pennies a round, but I've had trouble with accuracy issues.

Any of you homiez reload this hideous cartridge ?

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
WFO2

yeah iam sure that a lot of us do.......The brass is expensive.The way I do it is to buy reloadable boxer primed ammo and shoot it and reload it.....Then you can do whatever you want.Also the steel core 54r is the same diameter....Again this is just what I have heard so it is some hints to get you going........
WFO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO2
Also the steel core 54r is the same diameter....Again this is just what I have heard so it is some hints to get you going........
the primer end of the 54r is bigger than 7.62x39
Old 06-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheistermeister
the primer end of the 54r is bigger than 7.62x39
I think he was referring to the bullet diameter. I could be wrong, though
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
scheistermeister
Throbbing Member

ahhh gotcha, i thought he was talking about cutting the cases down.
scheistermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Most of the SKS's and Ak systems can bash the bejeezus out of the cases.

I do have 1000 primed new winchester cases, and the dies. But about the that time there was only FMJ available (illegal for hunting in WI). Then I got a buy on 2 cans of Romanian "semi-corrosive" SP (The most corrosive stuff I've ever seen outside of Black Powder) and started using that.

Then Wolf brought out the HP (arguably legal here) and lately their 154 gr. SP. An excellent and accurate performer, IMHO.

The net result being that I've never reloaded the 7.62x39. Cheaper to use imports, and satisfactory.

I do have two acquaintances who solved the problem (early 90's)
by simply pulling the FMJ bullets from the mostly chinese FMJ ammo available, and reloading them with the original powder and the Speer 125 gr. .303 Spitz-SP bullet (.311 dia.).

I saw them get VG accuracy at the range and both claimed excellent performance on whitetails in the 150-250 lb. range.

Because of the cartridge bashing and the full length resizing required, I'd expect a fairly short case life with brass cases.

But my biggest reason for not reloading (yet) is picking up the empties. The SKS in particular throws cases all over hell's half-acre.

Well actually the ones that go straight up and then down inside your shirt are easy to find, it's the other ones that are time consuming.

Not much help I know, but maybe this'll help keep your question "up front", there must be someone reloading them.

I'd like to hear their experience myself.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

I haven't reloaded any, but have done some research. Here's some links that I have been studying. These links do give specific powder charges, but I think that's OK with the rules here as long as we don't post them. Fell free to dump the links if it doesn't go along with the rules.

http://www.reloadammo.com/762rload.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/7-62soviet.htm
http://www.logicsouth.com/~lcoble/dir7/762x39h.txt
http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=66
http://www.logicsouth.com/~lcoble/password/handload.html

I have caught some good deals every now and then on E-Bay for reloadable brass. Not too often, but every now and then. Also check on Gunbroker.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
Gus

5knives

That's a good suggestion pulling the bullet and reloading for accuracy. I may just try that on 30 rounds for a mag full of good stuff.

Just to see how it works.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I don't have a problem with posting links, but I'll give a warning for everyone. You should get a reloading manual from one of the major suppliers of reloading componens or equipment such as Lyman, Hornaday, IMR, Winchester, etc and follow their recommendations for powder charge/primer combination for various weight bullets. I am very skeptical about private individuals websites who write about their super accurate loads. That's all I'm going to say on this. Yer on your own now.

And, 5Knives is right about most commie guns tearing the crap out of the cartridges. The only exception I've got is my 5.45x39 Krink. It doesn't destroy the cases all that bad. But, I don't shoot it all that much anyway.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Good post , Thanks for the information!

Just an add on to Pogo's post, if you check the stickies at the top of the reloading forum, you'll find links to the Powder Manufacturers Web sites.

And in them you will find specific loads and recommended loadings.

Remember their loads are SPECIFIC, Primer, Case, Bullet and Powder.

Ad Hoc substitutions are unwise, always. Same as with the $30 Bullet mfrs., load books.

Safety First Guys ... because an eye or a hand is a terrible thing to waste. We weren't issued spares!

Regards

5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
Rew

Agreed I have no problem with links. I don't load the 7.62x39 or the 54r. I have about 1000 rounds of 54r and 350 or so 39 I just don't shoot either enough to reload for them. If the price comes down again on 39 and the availability goes up I'll pick up a 1000. I do cast a bullet that will work in either one or the .303, and sized to .309 works in my .30's.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
magnus392
Thick Skulled Southerner

Hey Moon...Jay has some brass cased 7.62x39 but it is horribly over priced.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:38 AM   #13
ACOG

I have seen 50rds of Winchester 7.62x39 NIW brass for $12.74 a bag don't know if thats much of a deal or not.
ACOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:14 AM   #14
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

You guys might keep watching Starline advertisements. If the supply of ammo ever becomse critically short, I'll bet Starline will make cases for them.

I like Starline cases. And, they are decently priced. http://www.starlinebrass.com/

Most SASS members use Starline cases.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #15
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus392
Hey Moon...Jay has some brass cased 7.62x39 but it is horribly over priced.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have some brass cased ammo that is still berdan primed.

Now back to the manuals. I've checked a few but the ones I have looked at doesn't have 7.62x39. Maybe the newer ones will now that the ammo has become more popular. I noticed Hornady is now making bullets for these.

I have a bolt-action 7.62, so I don't have to worry about the cases getting tore up too much.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote