Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Ammunition and Reloading Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Ammunition and Reloading Forum All about ammunition, reloading and reloading equipment

Old 02-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
ATD

I will throw my 2 cents for Lee, My first powder measure was the Lee Perfect Powder measure. Yes it's all plastic but it does have some good features. like being able to empty out the powder without taking the whole measure off the base. Also I have found with extruded powders it is more accurate than my RCBS measure. You just have to be gentle with it. Their auto disk I have no idea about, never used it.

I aslo like the Lee AutoPrime 2, the primer thing that mounts into your press. Not that I have tried anyone elses but I haven't had any problems with it so I figure why change.

The Lee Scale I found was hard to read and get good measurements from, pretty much any of the RCBS Scales work much better, or you can cut alot of fuss out of your reloading time by just getting a digital scale, it's amazing how much faster you can reload when you don't have to spend 5 minutes fussing with a scale.

As you said their kit will get you started for about $100, Let us know how that Auto disk works out for you. I've thought about getting one for the pistol ammo I still do in single stage, but with all the stuff I already have I haven't been able to justify getting one to myself.
ATD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
kostner

Have had two Lee Turrent press for over twenty years and never had a problem. Was reloading 3006 today, now that is tight. Also reloaded 30/30,303 762x38 so turrent presses are handy. I do have two Dillon Square Deals in 45&9mm. I sold my RCBS and have been kicking myself ever since. Everyone needs a good single stage.
kostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #18
gunnysmith
Fear what you cannot see

3 Lee pro 1000's
1 Lee loadmaster.
Bought them in 1994
They are still going strong.
I clean them aout every 2000 rounds by a complete disassemble and relube.
No complaints yet.
The nylon rachet assembly has only benn replaced on one of the Pro 1000 presses, and that was when I first started loading with that machine.
I ordered 3 spares, used one and the rest are still in the tool kit after 12 years.
Yeah, I have a RCBS Rock Chucker and Lyman and RCBS Uniflow powder measures. I use the Lee equipment for most of my reloading.
My powder scale is a Herters free swing scale, no magnetic dampener.
I'll let some of you older guys guess how long I've been reloading from the mention of the Herters scale.

H. L. Mencken
gunnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #19
gunnysmith
Fear what you cannot see

Quote:
As you said their kit will get you started for about $100, Let us know how that Auto disk works out for you. I've thought about getting one for the pistol ammo I still do in single stage, but with all the stuff I already have I haven't been able to justify getting one to myself.
I use the AutoDisk for all my pistol loads.
For my 32 S&W Long I got the Micro disk to fit the AutoDisk.
When you first setup the AutoDisk measure, use the powdered graphite on the disk and work it several times before adding the powder.
gunnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #20
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I still have some Herters bullets.
.311, .308, .277, .257, .224...
Yep, they go back 35/40 years or more.
And that Herters .44 Mag brass sucks, uses a different shell holder.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #21
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

My Herters reloading tools are long gone, but I THINK still have two full boxes of Herter's #6 all plastic shotgun shells, yup the purple ones.

Haven't opened the box they SHOULD be in yet, no room.

That's 50 shells left of the original two cases I ordered, and the ones I used up were every bit as good as any high brass or low brass with the decorative metal on 'em. Hunting strictly, took years to use them up.

I've never heard an explanation as to why no one else ever manufactured a similar shell, they worked well and were at least as durable for reloads as Remington or Winchester of the time.

Herter' stuff really did work!

I'm going to have to gear up for reloading myself soon, and my use is still unknown and my space limited ... probably, for that reason If I have to buy new, it'll probably be a lee single stage press to start out, (Rather have a Rockchucker, which is why I've given myself the summer to find one used, or another decent press, no luck so far.) Figure components will be hard to come by for at least that long anyhow.

Good Luck!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #22
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Didn't give Herters too much thought, untill this thread.
I have some of those all plastic purple 12 ga. hulls too.
And, the Herters bullets were a different sort of alloy jacket.
They weren't copper or steel, but kind of a dull brass color.

Also have some reloadable plastic .38 Special rounds.
Six of 'em.
Still live, had 'em for over 30 years also.
"Not For Sale" "Promotional Purposes Only"
Given to my by a gunsmith, years ago.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #23
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnysmith
I'll let some of you older guys guess how long I've been reloading from the mention of the Herters scale.
Probably about the same as me. I had all Herters reloading equipment when I first started reloading, including the bottom pour melting pot. I had a big Herter's turret press, and even had a Herter's bullet sizer/lubricator. All of their stuff was well made.

That was many, many, many years ago. Because of many PCS moves in the Army, I couldn't move everything I owned. I had to sell or store stuff. So I sold most of my reloading equipment.

The biggest pain in the rear for the Herter's press was most other brands of shell holders wouldn't fit in theirs. And although I could buy a set of dies locally that I could use in it, I couldn't get a shell holder locally. I suppose a machinist could make an adapter so that you could use Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, and Redding shell holders.

I found a picture of a Herter's press just like mine. It held 6 dies.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #24
reloader760

i have a lee turret press, i loaded a bunch of .38's with it. not bad, but i would highly recommend getting a dillon or a rcbs. that lifetime warranty is real sweet. the materials used for the lees handle is crap. every time i pulled down on it, i was expecting it to break, i believe its made from pot metal. the handle on my rcbs is nice; i felt comfortable pulling that handle everytime. the lee uses to much plastic; i stripped out a screw on the powder container when i was switching out a powder measure disk. i'll sell you mine if you want, just have to dust it off. imo, search craigslist for reloading presses, i picked up two dillon square deals for cheap.
reloader760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 AM   #25
268darts

I have 2 Lee 1000's and 1 Lodmaster. I use the Lee powder pro with the adj. charge bar, and it works great. The 1000 twisted rod press does look cheesey, but it works fine. I'm glad youtube has some videos for setting these presses up. The instructions I got with these machines suck. I have 2 buddies that both have Dillions. Square deal and a 650. When I mentioned to the one with the 650 that I got a Lee, he thought it was great. I also mention a few problems I had when first setting up, and he started telling me all the problems he had getting his Dillion cranked up. I've used the Square deal and would have bought one, but I just couldn't part with that much cash, plus the expense of caliber changes. I have bid on ebay for Dillions. They usually sell for around $300 + when I see them. I picked up my last Lee 1000 for $225 on ebay. It came with 9mm, 38/357, 40, 44, 45 and 223 shell plates, powder pro, adj chage bar, bullet feeder w/multi tube adapter, and 6 quick change turrets. And I would buy another Loadmaster if I could find one cheap enough.
268darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 AM   #26
William Munny

I use a Hornady L-N-L progressive press. It works reasonably well, but I've had trouble getting the shell plate to consistently line up the case with the primer punch. Also, the powder measure requires a ton of cleaning before assembly or you won't get consistent charges.
William Munny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #27
WFO2

I use Lees single stage Press ,the one made of iron .For Powder I use an RCBS throw the Lee powder throw I had I did not like as well . For extruded powder I measure all of it by hand on an RCBS scale as I cant seem to get it as accurate in a throw . Looking at getting my first progressive Press and Dillion seems to be the one so far that is the best for my needs.
WFO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #28
Rew

I'm sure most of you know how I feel about Lee. But even I won't use their powder measure or scale. Mine are both RCBS. I love Lee dies and the priming tool. I have a load master and a pro 1000, both have been working fine now for many years.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #29
William Munny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
I'm sure most of you know how I feel about Lee. But even I won't use their powder measure or scale. Mine are both RCBS. I love Lee dies and the priming tool. I have a load master and a pro 1000, both have been working fine now for many years.
What kind of consistency do you get from your powder measure? When loading 68.0 grain charges with my Hornady measure, I will usually get between 67.9 and 68.1, but will occasionally get something like 68.4 or 67.7. Does that sound normal?
William Munny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
Rew

Yeah, I don't like it but that sound's normal. When loading for matches I weigh each charge, for plinking every 10th and for hunting every 5th.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote