Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Knives
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Knives Discussion about knives

Old 01-23-2024, 08:22 AM   #16
Konstantin

I bought one of these for the rest of the prep crew at the restaurant. I tried to teach them to use a stone, but they ruined them and screwed their knives up. This seems to work good enough for them.

https://www.horl.com/us/en/sharpeners/horl2-cruise

I use a Wusthof 8" chef knife and a Victorinox curved semi stiff boning knife. Victorinox stainless blades are some of the best stamped blades out there.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:36 AM   #17
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
A butcher steel just realigning the blade. When you cut a lot of hard things butcher block, bone the fine edge of the blade rolls over very slightly the steel just puts it back in its proper place. Steels come in coarse to fine. On the coarse you can see the lines that are cut into it running length wise fine is pretty much smooth.

I bought a medium steel when I made journeyman meat cutter along with a scabbard to hold the steel & 4 knives. I replaced the knives I used the most over 34 years, mainly the 6 inch boning knife & 8 inch breaking knife. The steel wore down to smooth over that period of time. Most blades are worn out from sharpening them. They really are still good, its just the blade geometry has changed enough that it not as effective as it once was. Basically the end up filleting knives.

I seen where the company that serviced the saws, grinder any other equipment brought in an electric grinder for sharpening knives. They also sold any kind of knife one could possibly us in the trade. The electric grinder did a great job, but it also would eat knives faster then hand sharpening & steeling the knife. This allowed them to sell more knives to the market.

There are "Diamond" impregnated steels out on the market. A guy who can properly sharpen a knife can substitute the diamond steel for using the stones. A diamond steel will remove blade material. Most stones sets get ruined by the being dropped & breaking, or an idiot gouging the softer coarse stones. They will wear out in time but are simple turned over. I have a stone set that pretty much perfect that were replaced because they got away with it. Another thing that ruins a stone set is the wrong oil. Food grade mineral oil is what should be used. The same oil should be sprayed or wiped onto all the stainless steel after cleaning. Cheap mother fuckers do not want to order it because it goes against the bonus. Then some shit head pours olive oil or cooking oil onto the stoned & it clogs up the surface of them rendering them useless.
Good info boon thanks.
And what is the sharpest edge on earth sharper than a surgical knife or a razor blade?
Drs. 'surgeons' looked at them under a microscope and were fascinated. They wanted them for surgery but that was going to be a tough one to make useful for them.
Flint pieces. No joke they were showing American Indian arrow heads and they made razor blades look dull. They went to a flint pit and were breaking off pieces and they were incredibly super sharp.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:40 AM   #18
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
I bought one of these for the rest of the prep crew at the restaurant. I tried to teach them to use a stone, but they ruined them and screwed their knives up. This seems to work good enough for them.

https://www.horl.com/us/en/sharpeners/horl2-cruise

I use a Wusthof 8" chef knife and a Victorinox curved semi stiff boning knife. Victorinox stainless blades are some of the best stamped blades out there.
Every review gives Wusthof and Victorinox top ratings quality wise hands down. You just have to work all week to pay for the dang things.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:58 AM   #19
Konstantin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Every review gives Wusthof top rating quality wise hands down. You just have to work all week to pay for the dang things.
I think I paid around $150 for the Wusthof about 18 months ago. It has been well worth it.

Every type of work I have ever done has required buying tools. A couple hundred bucks in knives sure beats the hell out of buying tens of thousands of dollars worth of Snap on tools.

Last edited by Konstantin; 01-23-2024 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Fat fingers
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:56 AM   #20
baboon
slug

Quote:
Good info boon thanks.
And what is the sharpest edge on earth sharper than a surgical knife or a razor blade?
Drs. 'surgeons' looked at them under a microscope and were fascinated. They wanted them for surgery but that was going to be a tough one to make useful for them.
Flint pieces. No joke they were showing American Indian arrow heads and they made razor blades look dull. They went to a flint pit and were breaking off pieces and they were incredibly super sharp.
I would think that obsidian (volcanic glass) is sharper. it's been snapped into arrow heads & knives still to this day.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:03 AM   #21
baboon
slug

Quote:
Every review gives Wusthof and Victorinox top ratings quality wise hands down. You just have to work all week to pay for the dang things.
98% of my work knives were Forschner Knives which is a division of Victorinox. On guy gave me a brand new Chicago Cutlery because I was from Chimocongoland. It was a vey hard knife get get sharp but held its edge the longest. I always thought work knives were very reasonably priced.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:22 AM   #22
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I would think that obsidian (volcanic glass) is sharper. it's been snapped into arrow heads & knives still to this day.
Volcanic glass I don't know maybe sharper?? That idiot Custer found out how sharp they were.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote