Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
DorGunR

Default I think I want this revolver

It's a S&W 686P .357 mag w/2 1/2 inch barrel. Comments welcome.

DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Looks like a winner to me Amber has a 686. Good revolver !

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
silverchicken
Happiness is a warm gun..

a friend of mine had one with about a 4 inch barrel, it was a very nice gun, it had a nice smooth trigger pull, and as far as im concerned you can never go wrong with a smith and wesson revolver....

Mao Tse Tung

Press 1 for English, Press 2 for disconnect......
silverchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Should be a nice gun. In that you asked for comments, I'll give you my opinion. While those shiny wood grips are pretty for collectors items and safe queens, I don't like them if I plan on using the gun.

For a shooting gun, I recommend either checkered wood grips, or even better are those not so pretty Hogue semi-hard rubber grips.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
DorGunR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
Should be a nice gun. In that you asked for comments, I'll give you my opinion. While those shiny wood grips are pretty for collectors items and safe queens, I don't like them if I plan on using the gun.

For a shooting gun, I recommend either checkered wood grips, or even better are those not so pretty Hogue semi-hard rubber grips.
Yeah, I don't care for the grips either, I put Hogue rubber grips on my wifes S&W 640 and if I buy this revolver I will probably do the same to it.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Man that should be real nice! I mentioned before how much I like .357's, I love that Ruger GP100 I have, and my dad got himself a Dan Wesson 6 incher recently that looks pretty nice too. Aint got to shoot it yet though. I wouldnt mind having that one in your pic either. That is beautiful grip on it too. It would be a shame to swap it out for something rubberized like a Hogue, but I probably would.

WWHBD?
(What Would Henry Bowman Do?)
Bulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Here's Ambers. I don't really care for laminate grips on any of my stuff, but I think they make hers look sharp.

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Yeah, as everyone knows, the Hogue grips ain't pretty, but very comfortable, and easy to grip. And being easy to grip is what they are there for.

Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Broncodarts

I say if you want it get it . You may end up regretting not doing so later.

'Tis a nice lil hand cannon.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I wish the new Smiths didn't have that silly hole in the left side for that lock.

My Mountain Gun doesn't have it, but my buddy wanted me to order one for him later, and it had that hole for a lock.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
DorGunR

Hmmmmm..........ya know Pogo........those Jerry Mikulek grips really do look good, don't they?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Well DorGunR, I guess it would depend on what I was going to do with it. My big old hands have fumble fingers and a fumble thumb. And I need something that is easy for me to grip. For a carry gun, I would prefer the rubber grips myself.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

I am extremly fond of 3" and 2 1/2" barreled .357's.

As a carry piece they give up very little to the longer bbl versions, and ballisticaly they sacrifice far less thn most people think.

With adjustable sightss you can acctually hit things with them, (without depending on 'the luck of the draw' you have with fixed sights) and they carry concealed or open much better than the 'standard' 4 inch. bbl.

IMHO, once you get to 3" or lesss the cylinder and the grip are what determines the ease of conceaalment.

After 'using up a pair of S&W M-19's (New York Reload) I ended up replacing them with a pair of Taurus M-66, 3" bbl and adj. sights about 12-15 years ago, and I remain extremly pleased with them. The Tauri (?) were simply far smoother than any comparable Smiths I could find at the time. Mine have Pachmeyers grips, forget the model, no finger grooves thank you, but they've worked out just fine, certainly better thsn the originsl Smith style 'splinter' grips.

Drawback to the the slightly 'sticky' synthetic grips is that they can snag and pull your covering clothing out of alignment, have to check that occasionally if concealed, but it doesn't happen often, and of course the sights can snag also, but a little gentle sroning of the sharp corners solves that.

An excellent 'all purpose" revolver, IMO.

The 4" bbl stays at the bedside, but if I'm 'out and about' without a 1911 then one or both of the 66's will be with me.

I'd be very surprised if you weren't EXTREMLY pleased with that 686.

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #14
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

You cant go wrong with a nice smith.
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
AKWARRIOR
Gone

I like it DorGunR.I like it a lot.Adjustable sights and a short barrel in 357mag.You just can't go wrong with that.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined"-Patrick Henry
AKWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote