Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 12-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
Boris

Default Length of Pull

How do I figure which L.O.P. is right for me?...both my Remington 700 and Winchester model 70 have 13 3/4 L.O.P. and seem pretty comfy,,not sure if I should leave it alone or change it up.

I am looking at replacing the stock on my 700 as it's developed a crack about 5 inches long on the LH side just above the trigger area 3 inches or so,,I have also noticed some other what I think are cracks developing....anyway..

I am going to order a Boyds Prairie Hunter stock sometime after the new year,,between this and the Model 70 I still have yet to work on it should keep me busy after I move this spring

Patrick Henry
Boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
baboon
slug

I was taught with you trigger finger on the trigger the butt comes to the inside of your elbow.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
Boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I was taught with you trigger finger on the trigger the butt comes to the inside of your elbow.
cool,,it comes to just before my elbow bend so I guess I'm good,,I sure don't want it any shorter and I can add with a pad if I feel the need

Thank You
Boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
JD Miller
Fake Member

my 1939 -1940 Husqvarna M98 mauser moose rifles have a longer length of pull than my most of my Winchesters m70.

My pre 64 starndard M70s 1940s have a longer LOP than my pre 64 featherweight 1953
Old 12-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
Bluntforce
slug

I shoulder from the hip to see if it catches on my clothes. 14” works for shooting but not shouldering/unshouldering. 13” is usually OK with some snagging on clothes but not requiring a throw forward to shoulder and clear shirt/coat like 14”. 12” is great for all handling except shouldering and firing. Might want to make sure clothes give movement but don’t gather under shooting arm.

Too long stocks aren’t bad firing it’s moving the arm further out than instinctual/muscle memory compared to better fitting stocks that presents more problems than eye relief, recoil, placement of off hand.

Don’t let your coat bunch up around your shoulder. We have six seasons changes a week here. You can literally hunt in tee shirt and shorts in complete comfort two days after a 20 degree cold front. Maybe that’s why my coats are baggy. Anyway clothes and their very transitory nature here make me pay attention to what I’m wearing as to which length of stock I’ll use. Cutting them to my forearm length always makes them too short for everybody else and sometimes myself.