Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Gardening, Animal Husbandry, and Yard Care
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
JD Miller
Fake Member

Default Who gonna plant some veggies?

I havent in several years cause the damn gophers eat everything

Bought a started tomato plant , Big Beef $1.50

Think Ill plant some stuff in some nursery buckets I have. I' ll get some more tomaters and maybe some zuccs and something else,''' steak and lobster plants etc

Maybe Ill put some chicken wire in the ground to fence out the gophers.

Been catchin;' and killing ground squills this winter,,,, no more squirrels right now , My dog stopped hunting them (standing out in the back on point for hours) , cause there isnt any left, unless some more move in
Old 03-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
S. Fisher

My wife already has starters going in the garage, hopefully she’ll be able to transplant them to the greenhouse by mid may. We don’t have gofers but the moose will eat anything outside of the dog yard. For some reason they don’t bother the zucchini, with 20 hrs of daylight they get big.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779
S. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Just waiting until the damn weather turns here. It's still in the 20's and 30's and the furnace is running. I can't wait to get out and turn the beds over...this year it will be Better Boy tomatoes, pickle cucs, red lettuce, peppers, and maybe some spinach.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Sanders

Have weld the crack on my tiller handlebars t hen I can start working the soil for planting end of April/ beginning of May. Always get a frost by end of April.

I left the garden fallow last year. Looking forward to some swwet, homegrown broccoli this year. Tastes nothing like that stuff they sell in stores.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
twin50

Why certainly pot ash is out...tilling soon yeeeeeeeeehawwwwwww
twin50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post

Tastes nothing like that stuff they sell in stores.
This is true of just about all home-grown stuff imo. Sometimes, especially with tomatoes, the taste difference is amazing. Plus, you don't have to worry about what kinds of poisons have been sprayed on the plants or put into their soil.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Sanders

I hope I can find some Thai bell peppers again this year. Those were good when I grew them a couple years ago-sweet and spicy.

I also need to redo my strawberry bed this year.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

I've got tomatoes going and Basil....I love bruschetas...it's the dago in me.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Oh yeah, toasted garlic bread with a slice of of home grown tomato, some fresh mozzarella cheese, thin slice of cucumber and a shiffonade of basil with a light sprinkle of kosher salt. Nothing better on a hot summer day.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
My wife always plants basil, oregano, & rosemary herbs in pots for cooking Italian dishes. And she's German-Irish.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Oh yeah, toasted garlic bread with a slice of of home grown tomato, some fresh mozzarella cheese, thin slice of cucumber and a shiffonade of basil with a light sprinkle of kosher salt. Nothing better on a hot summer day.

aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #12
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post

Looks good. I'd skip the Basil. I don't like many spices.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #13
flashy
Omicron cocksman

I grow all kinds of stuff mostly ornamental shrubs, I got more big plans coming this year on the list is some veggies too, I’ll do some cucumbers and squashes early around 100 plants each that I sell the crop mostly only do about 10 or so tomato plants for us, last year too much rain kind of ruined what 5 plants I had they stayed green really long.

I do about 2 acres of pumpkins a year which is a ton of work, I sow some seeds directly and sow some ornamental pumpkin seeds in cell trays which I usually plant first couple weeks of May, pumpkins sell real good on the road side stand. Takes a lot of spraying at evening usually to keep the squash bugs and stem bores off the plants till August.

Been kicking around the idea of doing some pot in pot field grown trees on a couple acres, that requires about $30k in investment with drain pipes, irrigation, and socket pots. My biggest quickest sellers now are blueberry plants, got about 500 plants ready to go in the cold frame hoop house have mostly 3 different varieties. Various sizes of blueberries from 1 gal pot to 3 gal containers.

My big variety pumpkins I plant away from the others so they don’t cross pollinate, about 25’ wide vines there in beginning of August before fruit really sets.
flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #14
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

Finally got around to planting the garden beds this weekend. I decided to forgo quantity for quality and just put in Early Girl tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and some pickle cucs. Also put a jalapeno plant in a clay pot...never tried growing those before.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I ought to plant some cucumbers. I like good fresh ones.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote