Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 05-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Sanders

Default The Single Action Six Shooter

My first handgun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum with a 7.5" bbl. I worked and saved up my money all summer when I was 14 to buy it and Dad took me down to a local pawnshop and did the paperwork for me.

After that, every time we were in town and I had some money, I was buying ammo. After so many years of shooting off hand, you're bound to gain some skill. It impressed the hell out of the guy dating my younger sister when we were out hiking to a cave and all of us were wearing our guns. I saw a bottle on the opposite bank of arroyo we were walking along and bet him I could hit it. The shot was probably 30 yards. I drew down fastdraw and shot from the hip...disintegrating the bottle.

I say that because the other day I "rediscovered" my six gun, or I should say the fun of the single action six gun. I took it up into the mountains and figured I'd put some rounds through it. Anyway, I had forgotten just how much fun it was and even tried my old fast draw again. It took a couple shots before I nailed the grapefruit-sized rock at 20 yards from the hip, but I still got it. I also forgot how accurate the .44 magnum is at long distances. A man-sized dead tree at around 100 yards was my target and I heard a satisfying THWAP in it with each aimed shot.

I'm definitely not going to let the old Ruger sit neglected as long as I did.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
GBob01
Coonass Crusader

I had and sold that same gun back in 86. Bought it from a buddy who picked it up at a pawnshop on Ft.Polk. Sold it in 87 to afford a pair of diamond earrings for my now wife of 19 years. Although I miss the gun, I still believe that I came out on the good end of the deal.
GBob01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
5knives
KaBoom Kontrol Modulator

Mr. Sanders,

Welcome back to the Light!

Regards,
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
Rew

Single actions are fun. I grew up with them. I migrated to double actions, but still love the old thumb buster.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

I only recently got into SAA shooting. I got this one as the next one (backwards) in my collection of U.S. military pistols. I was amazed as to how well it shot, and how accurate it was. I love it. Needless to say it is .45 Colt
HorseSoldier176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
buzgun
slug

Cool SAA Horse !!! i saw one of those at the Tombstone Arizona courthouse museum it was behind a glass case and no finish left on it - and i have wanted one ever since ! - i have shot one of those in .45 Colt -w- a 5-1/2" barrel without hearing protection - LOUD AS HELL !

The 7-1/2" is my favorite - and as i have read in real old west books - the 7-1/2" .45 was the gun most used by gunfighters back in da day
buzgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

Thanks Buz

As I said, I love it. Unfortunately it is not an original, but a very well U.S. made repop. It is a U.S. Firearms copy of the 1873 Colt SAA. If you want to check em out U.S. Firearms can be checked at...

WWW.USFirearms.com

Horse
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
buzgun
slug

Horse : the first real gun i ever owned was given to me by Gramps when i was 12 , when i got it I thought it was "the cats nutz" here it is -

Old 05-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I've got a pair of em in .45 Long Colt in my Cowboy Shooting guns.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
I've got a pair of em in .45 Long Colt in my Cowboy Shooting guns.

Pog;

Any recommendations on a good .45 LC lever action rifle? Current manufacture, I know I can't afford an original.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier176
Pog;

Any recommendations on a good .45 LC lever action rifle? Current manufacture, I know I can't afford an original.
Probably best is the Uberti copy of the model 1873 Winchester, that's the bottom rifle in the pic I posted. They won't be cheap. I believe my cost was around $800 if I remember right, and I'm a dealer. Another good one would be a newly made model 1895 Marlin.

Edited: I meant to say 1894 Marlin instead of 1895.

Last edited by Pogo; 05-25-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
HorseSoldier176
Retired Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzgun
Horse : the first real gun i ever owned was given to me by Gramps when i was 12 , when i got it I thought it was "the cats nutz" here it is -

That is a beaut Buz.

Really nice, bet you are proud of that pup.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
Rew

Buz very few "gunfighters" used the 7.5" Colt. And very few were really fast. I have a book called "The gunfighters" it's a Time-life book, another called "Encyclopedia of western gunfighters" by Bill O'Neal and published by the University of Oklahoma. If you can't find them, they are both old books, and your really interested, I can send you my copies with your promise to return them. The 7.5" Colt was the Carvery model, the 5.5" the Artillery model and the 4&5/8" the civilian model.
Rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
buzgun
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew
Buz very few "gunfighters" used the 7.5" Colt. And very few were really fast. I have a book called "The gunfighters" it's a Time-life book, another called "Encyclopedia of western gunfighters" by Bill O'Neal and published by the University of Oklahoma. If you can't find them, they are both old books, and your really interested, I can send you my copies with your promise to return them. The 7.5" Colt was the Carvery model, the 5.5" the Artillery model and the 4&5/8" the civilian model.

Thanks for the offer REW , I spent 2-1/2 years going to school in phoenix , and this subject of the old west fascinated me - I went to a lot of the Arizona "ghost towns" on camping trips and when i said that gunfighters used the 7-1/2 bbl - I meant that this was the most common length i saw in the many 1880's photos and museums i visited in Arizona of "badasses" with guns
the coolest museum was in Tombstone's courthouse - they had ED Sheffilends Henry rifle , suitcase trunk , and a Black powder Colt like Horses on display !
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
Sanders

"Whenever you get into a row be sure and not shoot too quick. Take time. I've known many a feller slip up for shootin' in a hurry." -- J.B. "Wild Bill" Hickok
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote