Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 05-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

Default I am a cack-handed idiot

A while back I bought an old Winchester M-1897 slide-action shotgun. Not being familiar with it I kinda stuck it in the safe and forgot about it.

Today my conscience pricked me enough to drag it out to give it a good cleaning.

YouTube is everyone’s friend and I found a wealth of vids showing me how to pull it apart and put it back together again. Frankly, I didn’t envision doing much
more at this point than separating barrel from frame. Turns out it’s a simple enough task, accomplished without any bother at all.

At this point I decided to make sure that I could put it back together again. Another simple task it would seem except that during the procedure I somehow managed to cock the hammer. I have no idea how this happened as pictures I took of the gun separated clearly show the hammer uncocked. I’ve gone over everything that took place but cannot ‘see’ where I managed to screw things up.

So the question is obviously how do I go about uncocking the hammer? One final bit of information is that the trigger is also locked back as if being held back by an invisible finger.

Clearly, the crack-handed should not have anything to do with unfamiliar machinery.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

I think the trigger stays back until you cock the hammer so you must have something out of place.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
JD Miller
Fake Member

https://youtu.be/Wkc8sFi4CsI?t=109

alot of parts

https://www.rarewinchesters.com/imag...ded%20View.jpg

Old 05-27-2020, 02:55 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Rick let me look over mine and see what the hay is going on? O.K. make sure its not loaded of course now take the wood racking slide and push it forward then rack it back. It will not rack without doing this I think till the first round is fired?
Look on the side plate 'receiver' and you should see a metal small round button thing a dinga? Push that in and see if you can release the trigger?
Is it an early fixed barrel or removable?
Oh my God don't take those damn things apart unless you are John Moses himself.

ADD: Rick that button is #22 on JDs chart. 'Action slide lock release' push it in then try.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Spinz

Rick where the frig did yah go???
You asked for help then yah disappeared.??
That's it I am asking the mods to check your dang blasted green card. Your toast.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Rick where the frig did yah go???
You asked for help then yah disappeared.??
That's it I am asking the mods to check your dang blasted green card. Your toast.
Still here, 4th - had a bunch of other stuff going on today.

The problem is that the hammer became cocked at some stage after
I took the barrel off — maybe in attempting to put the barrel back on.

No problem dismounting the barrel; I guess everything turned to shit when I was fooling with reassembly. What should have been a simple task has now turned into a freakin’ pile of poop. I can see beaucoup gunsmith $$$ ahead.
Rick-a-Roo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-a-Roo View Post
Still here, 4th - had a bunch of other stuff going on today.

The problem is that the hammer became cocked at some stage after
I took the barrel off — maybe in attempting to put the barrel back on.

No problem dismounting the barrel; I guess everything turned to shit when I was fooling with reassembly. What should have been a simple task has now turned into a freakin’ pile of poop. I can see beaucoup gunsmith $$$ ahead.
No no Rick my gunsmith took one of my Mod. 97s completely apart and back together with no troubles. No charge I give him a lot of business.
You didn't say if you solved the problem or not? The lever on the racking slide that goes into the receiver 'must' catch properly or it wont function. #17 JDs schematic.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
slug

Guns are Bad
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #9
aviator
unum de multis

Don't abandon ship yet old mate, just be methodical about reassembly. Been there and I took everything apart then figured it out as I was putting it back together again.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Don't abandon ship yet old mate, just be methodical about reassembly. Been there and I took everything apart then figured it out as I was putting it back together again.
I’ll give it full attention over the weekend. Hopefully I won’t finish with a pile of parts. I fear broken parts or lost springs. Will report back next week .
Old 05-29-2020, 01:04 AM   #11
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Cut that hammer off with a hacksaw and mail it to the ATF.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #12
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
Cut that hammer off with a hacksaw and mail it to the ATF.
I might just do that, ‘grains.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #13
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

Back again...I had forgotten all about this post. Sorry 4th.

Today's pix which show how far back the hammer is. It is locked down very tightly.

Barrel is separated from the receiver.

Yes, it's a beater...but I have some $$ into it and it would be nice to get it working again.