Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Gardening, Animal Husbandry, and Yard Care
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Default Apple Trees

Any of you boys down here in the rainy, hot, humid, wet, moldy, fungus infested, sticky south have any apple trees?

I found one on the property when we bought it 2 years ago. Since moving up here last year, I've been trying to help it along however, the rainy humid weather we've been having is reeking havoc on it.

Controlling the fungus on the leaves and the green shit I'm finding on the bark has been a bitch to get rid of.

Any suggestions on a good fungicide?

By the way, the tree is about 8ft. tall and I trimmed it back last fall. Come spring, I had many blossoms but no fruit. It's been neglected and I may not see fruit for a year or two, I guess.
Not even sure what type of apple it is, either.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

First off, you will need a second tree of a different type of apple for cross pollination or you will get all blossoms and no or very little fruit.
As for fungicides, I don't know of any that's safe for home gardeners. The fungus doesn't really hurt the apples, but it does look bad.
Also, possums and coons love apples. I just watched several dozen disappear before I got the live trap out.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

As far as I know, not all apple trees need a 2nd to pollinate. Unfortunately, I have no idea what variety my tree is.
I had an Ein Schemer (sp?) tree when we lived in central Fla. that always produced 8 to 12 apples every season - except 2004 when we had all those hurricanes.

I can tell it was grafted by the scar near the base. Chances are the previous property owner put it in.

As for possums & coons, hopefully my dog will alert if there's any critter nearby. She does pretty well. Sometimes I think she sounds off if a possum farts within 100yds.

And I can always use the target practice.
Shooter 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
S. Fisher

Believe it or not I have a small apple tree that a local realtor gave me as a tip when I fixed his garage doors. He grafted it on a choke cherry tree, it has two acorn sized apples on it. Had a moose eat the top off of it last winter but it still survived, it’s about three feet tall right now.
All I have in the yard are birch, cottonwood, alder, diamond willow, choke cherry and spruce trees, so I’m not sure how or why the apple hybrid tree is producing apples.

The guy I got it from has been experimenting with them for several decades, he has some very large trees, that produce lots of fruit. He did say that they are only good for pies though.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779
S. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Florida is probably too warm for good results with an apple tree. Peaches would be good in your area.