Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Hunting
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
Sanders

Question Deer hunting in Texas

My little brother recently moved to the Houston area and has been trying to find somewhere he can go hunt deer this year.

So far, he said all he's been able to find are private game ranches that charge an arm, a leg, and a second mortgage on the house to hunt on them.

Can anyone steer a guy, who grew up in the Western states with lots of public land to hunt on, the direction to go?

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
baboon
slug

Texas is for the most part private land. He can hunt type II lands for free & needs a permit thru TP&W. I tried it once & it scared me. Way to many idiots & drunks armed.

Hunting in Texas is big business. Hunting leases run from cheap day leases to what it cost to go to Africa. And there are hunting leases for everything waterfowl, dove, qual along with deer & hogs.

There are a bunch of high fences in Texas too. Exotics are considered live stock & can be hunted year round. (not that you really want to hunt in the heat of summer)

His best bet is to friend up with someone who owns land or has a lease & can bring a guest. A buddy of mine has a place Palestine that have sone nice deer, but it's a family property with a bunch of cousins. His brother found an Axis deer day hunt that is more like harvesting then hunting, but it includes dressing out the kill all for a set price.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Sanders

Thanks - you pretty much confirm what he's found out.

We have a cousin with a farm up toward Dallas who has invited us to hunt hogs, but he doesn't really have much in the way of deer on his place.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Thanks - you pretty much confirm what he's found out.

We have a cousin with a farm up toward Dallas who has invited us to hunt hogs, but he doesn't really have much in the way of deer on his place.
Hog will run deer off. Even as destructive as they are to Texas farms & ranches most people still won't let you come on their land to eradicate them.

Another thing about deer hunting on leases tends to require a bunch of gear. Feeders, game cams & a ATV. You also need a big ass cooler!
Old 08-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Hog will run deer off. Even as destructive as they are to Texas farms & ranches most people still won't let you come on their land to eradicate them.

Another thing about deer hunting on leases tends to require a bunch of gear. Feeders, game cams & a ATV. You also need a big ass cooler!
Must be why he called me and said he's putting in with me for next year in New Mexico. It is cheaper for him to pay the out-of-state resident fees than to hunt close to where he lives.

I only hunt public lands - track, stalk, and kill - or what the TV shows call "fair chase".

Except if I get drawn for antelope, then those are usually on ranches who have agreements with the state, and the state assigns you to hunt on.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
baboon
slug

The state offer several draw hunts. Good luck with that.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...tegories.phtml

Here is the Type II information.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...ublic_hunting/
Old 08-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #7
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Because Texas joined the USA as an already independent nation, the US government did not take ownership of the land like it did with the rest of the territories. Therefore there is little government-owned land in Texas.

Usually a guy shares in a deer hunting lease of some private land with a group of friends. He might have to frequent some gun clubs and put out the word of what he is looking for.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Sanders

I talked to him the other day and he had already pretty much come to the same conclusion about public land hunts that Baboon posted about.

He did say there were several youth only hunts that he might be interested in taking his son out on, if his son's lunatic mother in Seattle will let him come down for one. He figures the boy can handle an AK for a deer.

I'm sure if he asks around, Bubba will be looking for a hunting buddy. Bubba is always looking for another hunting buddy.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
baboon
slug

Quote:
I talked to him the other day and he had already pretty much come to the same conclusion about public land hunts that Baboon posted about.

He did say there were several youth only hunts that he might be interested in taking his son out on, if his son's lunatic mother in Seattle will let him come down for one. He figures the boy can handle an AK for a deer.

I'm sure if he asks around, Bubba will be looking for a hunting buddy. Bubba is always looking for another hunting buddy.
TSRA puts out youth hunts as well.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #10
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Quote:
He figures the boy can handle an AK for a deer.
My kids started big game hunting with 14.5 inch AR15s. The older one got an antelope at age 7 and the younger one got a deer and an antelope at age 6. By age 12, they were able to move to bolt action rifles. The telescoping stock and light weight of a pencil barrel AR15 makes it a great youth gun.
500grains is online now   Reply With Quote