Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Computer Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Computer Forum For questions and conversations about Computers and the Internet

Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Question Pogo, have an SSD question

or two. Are you still using one? How are you liking it and how is it holding up is you are?

Ok, that's three.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

My daughter's laptop has one built in, she loves it, that computer gets used and abused everyday in school and homework as all her work is computer based. I did some work on it yesterday updating some drivers and stuff and it's very fast.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
dhr
Banned

Been running a Crucial SSD as my OS drive for 8+ years now...will never go back to a mechanical drive for a boot drive.

My only complaint on SSD's is that they're not yet available large TB sizes...but that will come in time, and when it does, they will be the only drives in my system.

“Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” -Lord Byron
dhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

I really like my SSD. Going on a year no and now obvious problems.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
or two. Are you still using one? How are you liking it and how is it holding up is you are?

Ok, that's three.

Brian
Absolutely. SSD is the only kind to use for your operating system. Get the fastest one you can afford. It doesn't have to be mega terabytes. Then put at least 2 other extra large hard drives in your computer for your files.

I have a 4th hard drive just for an additional backup of my pictures, music, and OS. I have it password protected it to keep trojans or other malware from destroying my data.

I have a Western Digital hard drive that I'm going to save my 4th hard drive on and keep it out in my workshop in case of a fire in my house. I haven't copied that data over to it yet. I need to get around to accomplishing that.

I need all of that drive space because I keep backups of this forum.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
how is it holding up is you are?
Well, that was interesting...

Thank you for all the input. Been looking at drives between 250 and 500 gig, but after seeing all this, the 250 gig, or somewhere thereabouts would work for my needs. I run (usually) 3 operating systems, two Linux and a Winders, with one of the Linux systems always being used for experimentation.

Thanks again!

Brian
Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
aviator
unum de multis

When it comes to drives, the bigger the better. And yes, we can read Ebonics too.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
RTO

Last year I replaced my desktop computer (after mother nature wiped out the old one) I put a WD 500 gig SSD in it. It boots up in about 20 seconds.

I also have a 250 gig SSD that I am going to load Linux onto. I have 5 other mechanical drives that I need to remove images and documents from so that I can use a couple of them for storage.

SSD is the only way to go now IMHO.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
Last year I replaced my desktop computer (after mother nature wiped out the old one) I put a WD 500 gig SSD in it. It boots up in about 20 seconds.

I also have a 250 gig SSD that I am going to load Linux onto. I have 5 other mechanical drives that I need to remove images and documents from so that I can use a couple of them for storage.

SSD is the only way to go now IMHO.
I have three slots in this new case for SSD's, so I'll use one for each operating system. I had an external drive with an old version of Winders and Grub2 picked it up, when I did a Grub update, so I'm sure it will pick up all the internal drives.

Brian
Old 03-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
When it comes to drives, the bigger the better. And yes, we can read Ebonics too.
I'm sure glad of that, now what did I say?

Brian
Old 03-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
dhr
Banned

Quote:
I have three slots in this new case for SSD's, so I'll use one for each operating system. I had an external drive with an old version of Winders and Grub2 picked it up, when I did a Grub update, so I'm sure it will pick up all the internal drives.

Brian
A single 500+ gig SSD (like the Crucial MX300) should be more than adequate for the three OS installs you propose, with much real estate in reserve. Save the slots for larger TB mechanical drives for your data/files/pics/movies, et. al.

If you desire serious redundancy for your mechanical drives (apart from simply backing them up to external devices) consider adding hardware raid ala a quality raid daughter card. A serious advantage of hardware raid is that the card stores the details of the raid array. Pull the card and drives, pop them into a new system, install the driver and 'boom' your raid is up and running again. A decent raid card with multiple drives in a raid 5 or 6 array is the way to go.

Along with running on a Crucial SSD for the last 8ish years, I've also been running a 5.45 TB raid 5 array on a 3ware board. I've had at least 4 (possibly 5) 2 TB drives fail in this array, and replaced each as they've failed, rebuilt the array, all data safe. Strangely, I have a pair of Hitachi Deathstar drives that have been in the array since the beginning that are still going strong...who'd a thunk it? But the couple failures in the last 3 years have been replaced with NAS drives, which are what you should look at for a raid of any sort.
dhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #12
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Well, that was interesting...

Thank you for all the input. Been looking at drives between 250 and 500 gig, but after seeing all this, the 250 gig, or somewhere thereabouts would work for my needs. I run (usually) 3 operating systems, two Linux and a Winders, with one of the Linux systems always being used for experimentation.

Thanks again!

Brian
I have two 2 terabyte HDs, and one 3 terabyte HD for my data.

250 GB or 500 GB SSD would be plenty for your operating system.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote