Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Handguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #16
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Looking forward to pics of the upgrade process!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #17
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
From Brownells I ordered a Series 80 slot filler. That is to fill the slot when you remove the unnecessary firing pin safety. https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod13121.aspx

From Brownells I ordered a Wilson Combat spring kit. https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod59701.aspx

When I said "Trigger Kit", I actually meant "Hammer Kit" as this is what affects the pull of the trigger. It includes a matched hammer, sear, and disconnector.

There are three well known companies that manufacture reduced pull hammer kits: Ed Brown, Nowlin, and Cylinder & Slide. There are other lesser known companies as well. They are all similarily priced with a couple of companies very high priced. I've done a lot of research and it seems Cylinder & Slide is a favorite among shooters who build up their own race gun. Cylinder & Slide builds race guns as well. http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....show&ref=GRFIS

I ordered my hammer kit directly from Cylinder & Slide. https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0372

I measured the trigger pull on my Colt 1911. And as it is now it has a 5.5 lb pull. The new hammer kit should drop it to approx 4 lbs. And the Wilson Combat spring kit has a reduced hammer spring that will drop the hammer tension from approx 23# to 18.5#. That should cause the trigger pull to drop about another 1/2 lb which would leave my trigger pull at appprox. 3.5 lbs which is what I want.

Now the reason I ordered a full spring kit is because you can't just reduce the hammer spring. If you did that, that would affect the timing of the slide. The slide would move to the rear too fast causing an erratic failure to eject.

The spring kit includes a heavier recoil spring which balances out the lowered lb hammer spring, and properly slows down the rearward thrust of the slide.

Another option a person tuning a 1911 has is to slightly bend to the rear the trigger spring prong in the flat main spring. I probably won't do that until I check the trigger pull after I have installed the new components.
Thank you, John. That Series 80 filler is great. I only have one Series 80, out of all the 1911's that live here, but there IS a noticeable difference in trigger pull with the Series 70 models.

Thanks again!

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #18
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
Thank you, John. That Series 80 filler is great. I only have one Series 80, out of all the 1911's that live here, but there IS a noticeable difference in trigger pull with the Series 70 models.

Thanks again!

Brian
In addition to removing the 80 series parts and replacing them with the slot filler in the frame, is you have to remove the firing pin safety plunger in the slide.

That is easily done by removing the firing pin and then pulling out the plunger.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #19
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
In addition to removing the 80 series parts and replacing them with the slot filler in the frame, is you have to remove the firing pin safety plunger in the slide.

That is easily done by removing the firing pin and then pulling out the plunger.
Right. I had already figured on that. I'll keep the parts I remove in a bag in the box. A weird habit, I guess.

Brian
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #20
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
Right. I had already figured on that. I'll keep the parts I remove in a bag in the box. A weird habit, I guess.

Brian
I also do that with all of the guns I own.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #21
cerberus
Dud

Quote:
which would leave my trigger pull at appprox. 3.5 lbs which is what I want.
Sir, is this a carry piece or is it for beating up on B-27 Targets?
I've carried cocked and locked all my life, and am quite comfortable with it.
But I'm not sure I'd go as low as 3lbs for an EDC.
My only modern Colt is a not-so-modern Series 70 Combat Commander in 9mm. I only use it now to shoot bowling pins with people that aren't comfortable with the report from my Mod29s. It's a 98% gun and the bluing is exquisite. Typical of the S&W and Colt work from before Affirmative Action.
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #22
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
Sir, is this a carry piece or is it for beating up on B-27 Targets?
Both target and occasional carry.

In the middle 1911 I have the trigger set to 2 lbs. I don't carry it. It's for target only. In the top one, which is a Sig, I have it set to 3.5 lbs like I plan to do with my new one. A 3.5 lb trigger is quite safe if one remembers to keep their finger off the trigger. And of course that means securing them in a proper holster when not holding in your hand.

I already reduced one irritant of my new gun. It must have taken 50 lbs of pressure to push in the magazine catch. Holy cow, I've never had a gun with one that stiff. I removed the magazine catch and cut about 4 coils off of the magazine catch spring and reassembled it. Now it is about normal.

The picture was taken with my phone and the color is off a bit.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #23
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Nice Pony and very nice pic of the 'Herd'!
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
Sanders

But if you've ever reached down and felt your mag loose in the magwell, you might rethink the stiffness on that mag catch button. Had it happen to me with a small of the back holster - and the mag catch button was covered by leather. It was unnerving to think I could have lost the mag and never known it.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #25
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

It still takes about 7-8 lbs pressure to push in. When I first got it it took I'm guessing about 20 lbs to push in. It was way heavier than my other 1911s.

Later I installed a new sear and hammer and refitted the existing thumb safety to the new parts. I now have a 3.5 lb trigger pull.