Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Vendors Area > WELLCO Arms Company
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

WELLCO Arms Company -Wellco Arms Website.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #16
Zane Zackerly
The Mad Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow
...these days it would be on Romanian kits.

That might not be good. I've had 'hardness' issues with Romanian bolt carriers in the past.

In the event I get ready to do this, I'll contact you with a request for pricing based on a Polish kit.

In the meantime, I'm trying to talk a buddy out of what he claims to be a Russian kit.

Stay tuned.
Zane Zackerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #17
Zane Zackerly
The Mad Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgBob
Ah,...finally something I can comment on where I feel,..Knowledgeable?

Early Imported Pre-Ban AKs.

The Kalashnikov Rifles used in the movie "Red Dawn" (MGM 1984) were Egyptian Maadi Company for Engineering Industries' ARMs (Automatic Rifle Misr) imported in by the U.S. division of Steyer-Daimler-Puch in Secaucus, NJ.

As the Russians were up the Egyptians ASSes in the late 50's and on into the 60's, they shared everything with their NEW FRIENDS from social and civil engineering expertise to all forms of weapons technology. The AKMs were a prime example.

One of the Russian factories,..I think it was Tula,..showed no production of AKM supplied to Soviet Military, say in,.. say 1973?...I think it was?...because all parts produced there were sold to?....WHO?

There is more speculation surrounding the actual "geneology" of these Egyptian AKMs than can be discussed in a post on a forum, so I'll leave you to some source links and to some searching if you are truly interested.

Long Mountain Outfitters' Website about the "Red Dawn" Rifles!

Suffice it to say they are either rifles assembled from Russian produced parts, a mixture of some Soviet parts and Egyptian parts, or wholly maybe Egyptian? Nah,..thats Arab pride talking. Russian parts is what I see. Tough call. The pattern of the parts used suggests earlier AKM lineage. As a business/history buff and an AK collector, shooter, and a vendor back into the early 1980's, I have concockted my own version of the events that led to these AK rifles finally making an appearance here in the USA.

I have owned many many Pre-Ban Maadis. At one time I owned Serial #0007, that I sold to my old pal and well known Assault Rifle "ninja" Gene G. back in 1989 when the shit first hit the fan about Assault Rifles. I recently aquired another one, a run of the mill late example.

Sooooo,...the best (closest at reasonable price) way to go to make a worthwhile "Red Dawn Clone"?.....

1) Polish AKMS kit,....for basic rifle parts as they are Russian Pattern AKMs. Prefer earlier made ones without "Bump Snoot" gas blocks. Romanian AIM for a base,...nah.

2) Romanian LAMINATED Furniture,....(NOT POLISH,...wrong color GLUE between lams) reworked to Egyptian shape and coated with chipable old ORANGE/BROWN SHELLAC (not some too durable Poly-resin in that Russian Red) fitted on a Romy straight stock trunnion.

Russian Dark Red or Egyptian Mud Brown plastic grip,..not Polish (too fat) or Romanian (wrong checkering) grip.

Magazine,..European steel ribbed. (I like RUSSIAN RED Poly Mags in AKMs,...but that would not be "Red Dawn" correct).

Receiver?....Jimmy's or NoDak's,...anything with markings on the BOTTOM!....hello GREG?

A little trunnion "marking" magic from the "Dinque", and some magic hand engraving from someone like ..."me".... to put the Pharoh's head dress on one side of the sight block, and the Arsenal marks on the other,..squirt som REAL SHINY BLACK Norrell's MOLY-COAT,....and VOILA!

Say,...RED DAWN!

PS,...I'll chew with "Dow" on feasability.

I'll concur with this up to the point that you're going for looks.

The Egyptian head is not important because you can't see that on the film.

The correct "color" for the laminated wood is, of course, important. Other than that, a good, properly hardened set of parts from the kit is paramount.

That is, I wouldn't trust a Romanian kit, and I would be hesitant about anything but an early Egyptian.

Polish? fine.

Hungarian? fine.

Russian? Priceless.
Zane Zackerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
WolfsburgBob
2 down, ... 1 more to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly
I'll concur with this up to the point that you're going for looks.

The Egyptian head is not important because you can't see that on the film.

The correct "color" for the laminated wood is, of course, important. Other than that, a good, properly hardened set of parts from the kit is paramount.

That is, I wouldn't trust a Romanian kit, and I would be hesitant about anything but an early Egyptian.

Polish? fine.

Hungarian? fine.

Russian? Priceless.
I hear ya Bratha,...I hear ya!

But,...in a clone, LOOKS are all we have to look at!

Take them "Ladies" that you are the KING of presenting so often, and from the bottom of my genitals I DO THANK YOU for YOUR QUALITY "SOFT SHOTS", ...LOOKS are ALL we have to look at.

Instead of PHAROAH's Pschent Crown (a Deshret "red crown"/Hedjet "white crown" combination),..hows 'bout a "Cleopatra Head"?

Yeah,..CLEOPATRA HEAD!

"Never believed in 'karma', but people who have screwed me over seem to die in an untimely fashion." ... Bob Williams

WolfsburgBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgBob
Thugs?....Chas Echo and the Bug?,...ect, ect?

century?

You got it, but the V instead of the Bug.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
WolfsburgBob
2 down, ... 1 more to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders
You got it, but the V instead of the Bug.
VINCENTE'!

WolfsburgBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #21
dinkydow

Well...what do you think? Should I bang out some of these?

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #22
WetKnife
February 16 1966- October 23 2008 - US Navy veteran

How much ?
WetKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #23
buzgun
slug

gun

I would LOVE to see a member build one of these with a NDS "premo" russian style receiver, have Cyrillic selector marking engraved and maybe get some beautiful birch russian AKM wood to finish it off.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #24
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow
Well...what do you think? Should I bang out some of these?
I think you should make a couple of them. I bet they'd sell real fast, and at a premium, too.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #25
Yugom5966

Ive just accidentaly got the wood color of the red dawn AK IMO. I was looking for the Russian red color, but not all of the stain soaked in, and there is BLO already in the stock. Those two things gave me that color.
Yugom5966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #26
kruuth

Wow. I just found this thread.

YOu're right. That's a maadi in the film. Oddly enough I got a romanian last year that looks exactly like that.
kruuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #27
dinkydow

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly
I should point out up front that I'm not ready to make a decision right this minute, but this is one firearm I've always wanted.

Arsenal Inc was supposed to introduce their AKM some time this year. Supposedly they are not going to introduce it anytime soon according to one post on K-VAR's forum.

Can you manufacture the AK in the pic? If so, how much? I think other members might be interested in the 'Red Dawn' AK as well.

Building three of THESE...right now. WITH brand new Russian/Soviet Army slings. (In semiauto-only )
Old 04-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #28
dinkydow

Default RED DAWN AKM's for sale.

Here ya go....Presenting: "RED DAWN."

WOW! SOLD!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=128093103

Looks like I will have to put the other ones together that are all painted and ready to go...

Whadda ya think? Russian Laminated birch pistol grip...or the brown bakelite Russian style?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #29
dinkydow

Default RED DAWN for sale 03-11-2011

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=219797401

SOLD