Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

Default Cleaning old iron

Not quite sure where to post this, but Gunsmithing isn't visited with great
regularity.

So, does anyone else clean their shootin' (and non-shootin') irons with
Simichrome followed by Renaissance Wax?

If not, what route do you take and why?

Even with what I regard as premium cleaning materials for my collectible
firearms and shooting irons, I'm always open to the easier route. Yeah, I'm
basically a lazy bastard.

Bought a few .22s recently and have only stripped and cleaned one so far.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
Sanders

Everything I have gets cleaned with Hoppe's #9.

Collectibles are wasted on me, though. If I own it, it will get shot.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Legion489
Dud

With all the modern cleaning oils, whatever, Hoppe's is still a leader. Wax is good though.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #4
cerberus
Dud

GI CLP in the green can. I've had the same quart can for 25 years. Use it on internals after a dip in DunkIt from C&S shop.
Balistol for my FALs' gas tubes.
If something needs polishing, 'Flitz' does me good and leaves a protective film that doesn't gunk up like WD-40.
WD-40 I use to clean toilets. Doesn't go near my toys.
cerberus
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 AM   #5
THE DUDE

ballistol
Old 04-25-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
S. Fisher

I use MPro-7 on all my fire arms, it cuts through carbon fast. Pretty sure it’s just colorless and odorless simple green but it works fast. I also use nylon brushes, with the rod chucked in a cordless drill. I hate cleaning them but it has to be done, so why spend all day doing it. Finish up with a little corrosion X.
For my BP guns I use hot water and dawn dish soap, after rinsed I dry with compressed air.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779
S. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

I use RW on all my carbon steel knives and white metal. it is the duck's guts.
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Bull
Rabble Rouser

Wife hates the smell of Hoppes, I like it but that’s just the solvent.LSA from nam still seems to be ok for me
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
Konstantin

I've got one of the cheap Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaners. I just field strip and run everything in some Simple Green then rinse with hot water and blow out with air. After all that I'll spray with some Rem oil and blow with air again.
Konstantin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
weaselfire

Simple Green and warm water usually, follow up after drying with CLP, Ballistol or Ed's Red. I do use other cleaners when needed, a bore cleaner, Hoppes, etc. I'll also use a moly lube where appropriate.

Jeff
weaselfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
JD Miller
Fake Member

Kroil
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/13...-Kano-_-137203

For the bore after shooting, hoppes, occasionally JB bore paste and sweets, bronze brush, and Kroil again
Old 05-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #12
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey
Rabbit Hunter Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Helicopter Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Snake Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Balloon Hunter Champion, AirFox Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Pepsi Pinball Champion

Ah, yes...I was thinking only about the cosmetics when I posted, not the internals or
lubrication; just to keep the blued or nickel metal nice and shiny...and protected from
fingerprints.

Hoppes is what I use inside, and on a real old (but new to me) pistol, a liberal...er...generous...helping
from the GunScrubber can.
Rick-a-Roo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #13
CDawg
slug

See Dennis Blaine's website at restorationproduct.com I think you'll find everything you need. Any questions just contact him. He'll be more than glad to help. His website has great descriptions of all the restoration products he has, plus Renaissance Wax, which you already use. Great stuff that is.

A Chief Petty Officer shall not drink. However, if he should drink he shall not get drunk. If he should get drunk, he shall not stagger. And if he should stagger, he shall not fall. And if he should fall, he will fall in such a manner as to cover up his rank so that passersby will think he is an officer.
CDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
Rick-a-Roo
Gaw' Blimey Limey

Great link, CDawg. Thanks a million.

I can see out with the SimiChrome and in with the PreLim ahead.
Rick-a-Roo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
dinkydow

Kroil bore cleaner and 10w non detergent motor oil.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote