Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2021, 04:05 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Default How well can fish smell anyways and why your not catching fish??

A bloodhound has a sense of smell that is 400 to 600 times better than a human's. That is pretty good right? Well a fish has a sense of smell more than 1,000 times better than a human's.

We've all heard that a shark can smell one drop of blood in an Olympic sized swimming pool. Well most of the other fish species have a very evolved olfactory system too. That is why it is so important to get the smell of your baits and lures just right if you want to have a successful day on the water.

For most fish, their primary sense for finding prey is their sense of smell
. Sure many use their eyes, and their lateral lines to find prey but it is the sense of smell that often leads them to food in the first place.

https://fishyourassoff.com/scents-th...epel-fish.html

Ever wonder why your buddy in the boat is catching fish and your not? Your smoking he is not. Tobacco on your fingers you change lures? Whoops. Fish smell 500 times better than a bloodhound and detest tobacco smell among others like bug repellent say.
Wash your hands or handle a fish and then put the lure on.

ADD: The old fishing line 'Spit on your lure.' Guess what fish are attracted to human saliva.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:38 AM   #2
slug

So...

I wonder what a woman smells

like, to a fish?
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:18 AM   #3
aviator
unum de multis

Fish don't like my tobacco? Some guy once told me to spray WD-40 on the hooks.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Fish don't like my tobacco? Some guy once told me to spray WD-40 on the hooks.
I have heard that to Fred but according to the article it says any petroleum distillates repel them?
I was more amazed that fish can smell 300 or 400 times better than a bloodhound. Article kind of changed my whole thought on handling artificial lures when fishing.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
aviator
unum de multis

This guy used to do fishing tournaments in Okeechobee Lake, his wife was my secretary for a while and he used to do it. Maybe it takes other smells away? I don't know.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
Sanders

That explains a fishing trip I made with my buddy to the Sea of Cortez when we were teenagers. In a little 14' boat we were bottom fishing for rock bass with the same diamond jig lures. There was about 4-5 ft between us, one on each side of the boat. I was pulling up fish one after another. He couldn't catch anything. He chewed Copenhagen and I did not use any tobacco at all.

We also had 2 more guys in the bow, and another boat with 3 guys in it. We wound up with over 300 fish that day between us. But my buddy only caught 4 or 5 of them. Everyone had the exact same lure.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
That explains a fishing trip I made with my buddy to the Sea of Cortez when we were teenagers. In a little 14' boat we were bottom fishing for rock bass with the same diamond jig lures. There was about 4-5 ft between us, one on each side of the boat. I was pulling up fish one after another. He couldn't catch anything. He chewed Copenhagen and I did not use any tobacco at all.

We also had 2 more guys in the bow, and another boat with 3 guys in it. We wound up with over 300 fish that day between us. But my buddy only caught 4 or 5 of them. Everyone had the exact same lure.
Yup. My buddy up the corner here does tournament fishing and offshore. Went in few minutes ago small talk kidding said you know what scent scares fish from a lure? Yup Tim tobacco is #1. WTF hell over.
He said lot of the pros keep a rag smelling of fish in their boats and rub their hands on it before touching their lures. Be damned never to old to learn.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote