Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Mess Hall
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Mess Hall Talk about food. Recipes, grilling, dehydrating, smoking, and BBQs.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
baboon
slug

Default Skillet ribs

No grill, smoker, pit or working oven other then a toaster oven has me thinking out of the box when cooking. I did a slab of St Louis ribs in my large skillet with the lid on it. When ever I do a pork butt(in the toaster oven) I save the lard thats rendered off. I melted down damn near a 1 cup of it into the skillet. A palm of ginger sliced & some garlic. Cut the ribs individually added them to a hot skillet & turned them. Put the lid on & turned them down. Added soy sauce & lots of coarse black pepper & turned the a couple times over 2 hours of simmering.

Fall off the bone tender, with a slightly ginger garlic taste! The wife dumped Sweet Baby Rays chitin cracksauce on hers. I ate mine with a bit of salt & more pepper.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Sanders

Pressure cooker ribs are good, too. Just drop them in a pressure cooker and a bottle of your favorite sauce. Cook for 45 minutes and you'll have falling apart and off the bone ribs.

But I'm curious. A butcher without a means to BBQ, smoke or grill???

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Pressure cooker ribs are good, too. Just drop them in a pressure cooker and a bottle of your favorite sauce. Cook for 45 minutes and you'll have falling apart and off the bone ribs.

But I'm curious. A butcher without a means to BBQ, smoke or grill???
I had charcoal grills, gas grills & smokers. They all seem to have their problems. Charcoal can mold here, hate the fuel taste of lighter fluid. Gas you run out of bottles, spiders build webs in the venturi pipes. For the most part the heat , humidity & allergens make it worse. Only time I cook out side is when I visit my old buddy who lives in the woods. Plenty of oak & hickory wood for fuel. His cabin is real small & heating up the kitchen heats up the place. He didn't always have A/C either.

Even more surprising is just how little meat I buy! The only chicken I buy are some bulk buffalo wings we have during football season. Seldom ever buy beef anymore. When I do it's Carne Picatada (we no longer grind our trim. Instead it's sliced thin & run thru the tenderizer). I might buy one or two steaks a year, usually when the wife is out of town & I have to work a holiday. Even when I work the renfest I could eat prime rib all weekend. Last season I only ate it twice & once was to bring it to my crew.

Pork is mainly what I buy and it's got to real cheap for me to want it.

Years back I had a bone poke a hole in my intestines. I thought the surgeon was crazy when she told me. Seems I was leaking gas internally. 5 days on a morphine drip before they gutted me. You can't put that stuff back in the way it came out. Stopped eating all meat for 5 years after that!
Old 06-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

Oh come on baboon, that's just an excuse not to cook, it can't be any more humid than South Florida and we have bugs and bugs. I always have 3 tanks of gas filled up and a couple of bags of charcoal, I use either one, wait for the lighter fluid to evaporate before you put anything on the grill.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Oh come on baboon, that's just an excuse not to cook, it can't be any more humid than South Florida and we have bugs and bugs. I always have 3 tanks of gas filled up and a couple of bags of charcoal, I use either one, wait for the lighter fluid to evaporate before you put anything on the grill.
I do 90% of the cooking so it gets done under my terms!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
slug

We just don't eat much anymore...

But those ribs sound good...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
Sanders

Quote:
I haven't used lighter fluid in years. I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Ra...SIN=B000WEOQV8

When the charcoal gets a little "frosty" on the top briquets, it is time to dump them in the grill.

I have a few "tools" for cooking meat. A combo gas/charcoal/offset smoker grill serves very well. Then I have also had great success with the Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) that I built earlier this year. Hard to believe it can maintain a steady 200-250 degree smoke for as long as I've needed it to without messing with it. I will smoke a big brisket on July 4th, so that will be the big test. So far, I have smoked a Boston butt for pulled pork and some racks of ribs with great success.

My father-in-law bought a 5 burner gas grill and I'm the only one who uses it at his house. He also got some grill grates for it, which work grate (pun intended) for keeping the fire from flaring up and overcooking the meat. It is very difficult to maintain a low temp on that grill, though. Last weekend I cooked a NY strip roast on it. You cook that roast like a prime rib - to rare.

If I hadn't had a temp probe stuck in the meat to tell me when the internal temp was right, I would have over cooked it. Added some mesquite chips to a smoker box, and it gave the meat just a hint of smokiness.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

Sanders I have a four burner grill, sometimes I leave two off and that's where I place the meat after I sear it, I got it years ago for father's day and it's starting to fall apart now, I keep refurbishing it up with new burners, flavoring plates, etc, but some of the stuff is already being held by self tapping screws as rivets and the metal have rusted and pieces are missing so I have patched it up in a few places. I use it almost daily and it's not under roof.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #9
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I like to smoke my ribs and then add BBQ sauce. I also cook my hot wings in the smoker.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #10
Sanders

Quote:
Sanders I have a four burner grill, sometimes I leave two off and that's where I place the meat after I sear it, I got it years ago for father's day and it's starting to fall apart now, I keep refurbishing it up with new burners, flavoring plates, etc, but some of the stuff is already being held by self tapping screws as rivets and the metal have rusted and pieces are missing so I have patched it up in a few places. I use it almost daily and it's not under roof.
Some of us love cooking over fire. I don't care if it is wood, charcoal, coal, or gas.

On my father-in-law's grill, I only had the two end burners on low. The temp was still at 350.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #11
dcjake

Ribs are ribs... when they fall off the bone it don't matter how they were cooked...
dcjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
remus

Sanders, I made one of those coal starting dealies about fifty years ago. Made it out of a large coffee can. Took off both ends and punched holes all around the bottom with a beer can opener. Worked just like the store bought ones nowadays. I got away from that sort of thing. I may re-invent one this afternoon if I can find a metal coffee can instead of one of the plastic jobs they use now.
remus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:26 AM   #13
Stalky

My wife has begun perfecting her holiday recipes once again. Looking forward to the next couple of months of Connie's good cooking!
She should have been a chef.
Except she only cooks for family and friends.
Stalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:58 AM   #14
4thIDvet
slug

My buddy was like that boon. A professor at Fla. school of arts teaching cooking, an executive chef running high end high priced restaurants and a life long chef.
He would stop at Mickey Ds on his way home and get a half dozen dollar burgers. He choked even them down and could just not eat after working with it all day.