Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Computer Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Computer Forum For questions and conversations about Computers and the Internet

Old 08-28-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
RTO

Default Microsoft might not deliver Windows 11 updates to PCs with old CPUs

Microsoft might let you install Windows 11 on PCs with older processors, but that doesn't mean you'll get the full experience you'd find on newer machines. The company told The Verge that PCs with unsupported CPUs aren't 'entitled' to get Windows 11 updates, and might not even get driver or security upgrades. You may have to get more recent hardware just to keep your system secure, in other words.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...194632054.html

Keeping up with OSs, hardware, drivers and software is a never ending task.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
Microsoft might let you install Windows 11 on PCs with older processors, but that doesn't mean you'll get the full experience you'd find on newer machines. The company told The Verge that PCs with unsupported CPUs aren't 'entitled' to get Windows 11 updates, and might not even get driver or security upgrades. You may have to get more recent hardware just to keep your system secure, in other words.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...194632054.html

Keeping up with OSs, hardware, drivers and software is a never ending task.
That's a fact!

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
JD Miller
Fake Member

all about sales and mo $$$ for assboy gates
Old 08-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
all about sales and mo $$$ for assboy gates
Partially, but you go and install an advanced operating system that uses a lot of resources on an old system and you'd be even more pissed.

Brian
Old 08-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
Partially, but you go and install an advanced operating system that uses a lot of resources on an old system and you'd be even more pissed.

Brian
Yep, that was me back in the early days (for me) when I had to get with the program and leave DOS for Windows. Windows was really messed up back then and for a long while actually.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
Yep, that was me back in the early days (for me) when I had to get with the program and leave DOS for Windows. Windows was really messed up back then and for a long while actually.
So you played with DOS too? Back in time when computers did not have a hard drive and you had to load DOS from a floppy before running anything else and only had 64 Kb of memory on board....Oh yeah, that was fun. I can go even further back to writing Fortran programs on a key punch machine to be run by the mainframe on another room. That sucked.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
55chevy

Played with Fortran in 1964, worked through Dos, SCO Xenix Linux etc. Now every system is back to using some form of Unix.
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
So you played with DOS too? Back in time when computers did not have a hard drive and you had to load DOS from a floppy before running anything else and only had 64 Kb of memory on board....Oh yeah, that was fun. I can go even further back to writing Fortran programs on a key punch machine to be run by the mainframe on another room. That sucked.
Yes, I liked DOS and being able to maintain my own computers. I was so excited to get my first 8088/8086 computer after having been playing with Atari and TRS-80s. Then on to a 286 with PC Tools, etc.

When Windows came out I was a doubter that it would catch on because it seemed to crash almost every other time that I used it.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:03 AM   #9
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

I really liked DOS and was pretty good with it. Still have a couple sets of disks for it. I think the versions I have are 3.1 and 3.11. Would I go back to it? No way. But, it was a wonderful way to learn operating systems and how to make things work. There are still many ghosts of it in today's OS.

Brian
Old 11-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #10
ZastavaGuy

I wouldn't even consider running anything more than XP on anything less than a P4-3GHz. I base that on tests of MicroSlut products on that, and older rigs. I've got an Athlon (1000MHz) based system that SCO UnixWare 7.0.1 lives on, and a P2-266 based box running OS/2 Warp 4. That's my only use for old systems, so Microsoft's limitations are pretty meaningless to me.
ZastavaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote