Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Hunting
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Sanders

Default You Should Hunt More Rabbits

Quote:
The chances are that you don’t hunt enough rabbits, which is really too bad. They are tasty, challenging, and a fun way to get outside. It can be a fun hunt with kids, and you probably already have the tools you need to do it.

Maybe you’re like the old timers who told my buddy, Rob, “We don’t hunt rabbits, we just kill ’em,” but you’re missing out. Check with your local regs, but you’ll probably find long and liberal seasons on cottontail rabbits. Let me share some tips for hunting and cleaning rabbits that will have you rethinking these marvelously tasty little game animals.

Those of you who are already onboard, I’d love to hear your tips in the comments.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/h...-more-rabbits/

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
aviator
unum de multis

One time I went wabbit hunting with my cousins and the only thing I was left with was a 357 magnum......but I did manage to get a few holes, I mean...rabbits.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
baboon
slug

I ate a lot of rabbit as a yankee. The old say of don't hunt them until after the first frost more or less killed hunting them to eat here in Texas. I was buying commercial Rabbit meat for a while because I like it that much.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

I did a LOT of rabbit hunting growing up in SW Ohio. We would always clean, cook, & eat everything we shot. I used to make some great rabbit stews in my mom's Crockpot by adding carrots, peas, potatoes or whatever and some gravy. I miss those days.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Sanders

The saying I was taught was to only hunt them in months that have an "R" in them.

That pretty much means don't hunt them in the summertime. But we did, and never had any problems as long as they were gutted and skinned quickly and put on ice or in the outside freezer - and always check the liver for spots and discoloration.

In warm places, I say skin them out and get them on ice quickly so you don't get ticks and fleas in your ice chest or freezer.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
55chevy

[QUOTE=Sanders;1480776]The saying I was taught was to only hunt them in months that have an "R" in them.

THIS!
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Sanders

We raised rabbits once. Kind of on accident. Inherited a buck and doe when my Grandpa died.

Those were good eatin'. Way better than cotton hoppers, and much more meat, too.

Had them battered and fried like chicken, grilled on the barbecue, in stews, and the one you don't want to do - rabbit chile. Rabbit does not make a good chile for some reason. Maybe because it is too lean.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

I remember something about rabbits in warm months being tainted with a parasite bug called "warbles" or something like that. I've seen pictures of rabbit flesh infested with those things and they were pretty disgusting. Never encountered them myself tho.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
55chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKalashnikov View Post
I remember something about rabbits in warm months being tainted with a parasite bug called "warbles" or something like that. I've seen pictures of rabbit flesh infested with those things and they were pretty disgusting. Never encountered them myself tho.
Tularemia...............
"Tularemia is a disease that can infect animals and people. Rabbits, hares, and rodents are especially susceptible and often die in large numbers during outbreaks. People can become infected by several ways, including:

Tick and deer fly bites
Skin contact with infected animals
Drinking contaminated water
Inhaling contaminated aerosols or agricultural and landscaping dust
Laboratory exposure

In addition, people could be exposed as a result of bioterrorism.

Symptoms vary depending how the person was infected. Tularemia can be life-threatening, but most infections can be treated successfully with antibiotics."
Look it up....
55chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #10
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
The saying I was taught was to only hunt them in months that have an "R" in them.

That pretty much means don't hunt them in the summertime. But we did, and never had any problems as long as they were gutted and skinned quickly and put on ice or in the outside freezer - and always check the liver for spots and discoloration.

In warm places, I say skin them out and get them on ice quickly so you don't get ticks and fleas in your ice chest or freezer.
So oysters rulles apply!
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #11
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

Tularemia has infected several people I know.
Two of them died because of it.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
twin50

Foxes and bald eagles have decimated the rabbit pop. in my ao.
twin50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
JD Miller
Fake Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Tularemia has infected several people I know.
Two of them died because of it.
As a kid My Grandfather from Montana, taking us kids hunting told us not to eat rabbits because of disease. He must of knew people that died from Tularmia from rabbits

Old 08-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #14
remus

A rabbit story.
I was working for Time Finance back in the late sixties in Mayfield Ky. A large tire making plant was there too. A high ranking guy at the factory had a serious stroke that almost killed him and he was unable to return to his position. After months of rehab he decided him and his sons would go into the rabbit for food breeding business. Came to us wanting a loan because the bank wouldn't lend to him because of his infirmity. We gave him the largest loan that was legal for us to do. He started building hutches and got some breeding rabbits and a year later paid the loan off, and had a company coming to his place every week and getting a truckload of skinned and cleaned rabbits. He sold rabbit meat, the guts, and skins. When I left Mayfield he was making lots of money. It was a family business. Some guys are just hard to keep down.
remus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #15
slug

We use to sit on the front fenders

and drive down the gravel roads

and shoot them at night...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote