Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Rifles
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Default 45-70 Marlin day out.

Had a great day out with the Marlin 45-70 L/A yesterday.

Tested some new loads using a home cast 405gn pill travelling about 1200 fps.

Only fired about 40 shots but it was good fun.
9teen11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #2
slug

Sounds like fun Sir...

How's the shoulder?...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
dinkydow

I have several 45/70 rifles that I have not fired in some years. Both are Springfield Armory 1870's model infantry rifles. There used to be three of them in my safe...but...I got talked into selling one...gun pimp that I am. It was the best one. The color case hardening was brilliant and the stock cartouches were sharp. The bore was minty...The two I have left are really nice but not as nice as the one I sold.

I used to have a buddy (that since passed) who loaded me up cast lead bullets and used the proper amount of smokeless powder to not strain the mechanism which was designed for black powder. I used to shoot them often. I know there is a commercial source for "cowboy" loads using smokeless powder...or at least there used to be.

So many guns to shoot....so little time.

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
"Violence of action means the unrestricted use of speed,strength, surprise and aggression to achieve total dominance against your enemy...any fighting technique is useless unless you totally commit to violence of action."

Burning huts in commy vills worldwide since 1968
dinkydow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I have a newly manufactured Sharps 45/70 with a 34" barrel.

When I first got it I cast some 500 grain bullets and fired them downrange. I learned real fast that isn't something I want to shoot all afternoon.

So I loaded it up with 400 grain bullets and that made the rifle a lot more tolerable to shoot.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
Sounds like fun Sir...

How's the shoulder?...
A friend showed me his 45/70 and asked if I wanted to go shoot. Then he showed me the round and the damn thing looked like a 105 artillery shell. So much for dat hell my artificial shoulder implant would have had to be replaced.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44044 View Post
Sounds like fun Sir...

How's the shoulder?...

Shoulder is fine thanks, I was standing for the shoot. Next time around it may be a different story as Ill be bench resting it & will probably bang off a hundred or so.

I've got a nice leupold VX3 1.75 - 6X 32 to go on top of it so that's the next mission, to mount and to zero and make lots of noise.

I really love that calibre. It is to rifles what 45ACP is to handguns.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydow View Post
I used to have a buddy (that since passed) who loaded me up cast lead bullets and used the proper amount of smokeless powder to not strain the mechanism which was designed for black powder. I used to shoot them often. I know there is a commercial source for "cowboy" loads using smokeless powder...or at least there used to be.

So many guns to shoot....so little time.
Over here it is marketed as Trailboss and it emulates the burning rates and pressures of black powder. Its very popular and widely available.

Casting lead has always been a thing here because we can't trust long term "availability" of anything. I have moulds for everything I shoot.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
Railbuggy

My brother the cop did some leg work for a lawyer he knew. The lawyer paid him with a Springfield Armory 45/70 that he found in the attic of a old rental property he owns.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen11 View Post
Over here it is marketed as Trailboss and it emulates the burning rates and pressures of black powder. Its very popular and widely available.

Casting lead has always been a thing here because we can't trust long term "availability" of anything. I have moulds for everything I shoot.
Trail Boss is for sale over here, too. My cousin really likes it. He even worked up a varmint load for his 30-06 using a 100 gr. bullet and Trail Boss, and some time on the phone with the manufacturer. He tells me it really does a number on jackrabbits.

My brother-in-law has the Marlin .45-70, too. It is a fun gun to shoot, after I was done "proofing" his hot reloads that he was too scared to try, himself (and he failed to inform me they were hot loads). They were not fun.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
Sanders

I thought you might like this article on the .45-70 Springfields:

Springfield “Trapdoor” – The Gun That Really Won the West

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/spr...ally-won-west/
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
I thought you might like this article on the .45-70 Springfields:

Springfield “Trapdoor” – The Gun That Really Won the West

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/spr...ally-won-west/
Good read Sir...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
500grains
Soldier of Allah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
My brother the cop did some leg work for a lawyer he knew. The lawyer paid him with a Springfield Armory 45/70 that he found in the attic of a old rental property he owns.
I hope the lawyer sent himself a 1099 tax form for the value of that gun.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
cerberus
Dud

Mr Grains, we're talking about cops and lawyers here. They don't have to do such things. They're 'special'. (Read that 'above the law')
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:16 PM   #14
remus

I bought a Marlin Guide Gun last month and have been reloading and chronographing the loads with 322grn bullets and 405 grainers. Both with gas checks. Using H4198 and Varget. Found a good 322grn bullet load with 4198, gives 1530fps. The 405's are more problematical because of the recoil off the bench. I'm glad I got the guide gun because I found out today I got drawn in Az. for a bull elk hunt that starts December first. I'd really like to get one with the guide gun. I'm learning to really like this rifle.
remus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:07 AM   #15
9teen11
PERMANENTLY BANNED
Asteroids Champion

I just loaded up some more 405 grainers for the weekend, upped the charge by a gn. I'll have to take the chrony with me this time and see what they are doing.