Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 04-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Default A ? for others that parkerize

I would welcome suggestions on this;
Before, I would park my receivers and then install the barrel, and so on. I liked doing that because then the rivets are parked too, and it all looks nice. So now that I've decided to install the barrel to the trunion first, like I've been talking about on other threads, it makes it a bit more difficult. My tank isnt quite long enough to take a receiver and a barrel together, even if I had corks to block up the barrel and not get park in the chrome lining. I dont want to park the receiver before riveting, because I want the rivets matching.

What I'm thinking is to pour the hot solution into something else, like a pitcher, and then just put the receiver in, without any getting on the barrel. I feel like I'd still want to block up the chamber with a cork, but otherwise it should work pretty good right? Is there any reason that I should not use a plastic pitcher? Or what about a PVC pipe with one end capped? What do you guys think?

WWHBD?
(What Would Henry Bowman Do?)
Bulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

I remember WinnR saying that he used regular park solution in a plastic container. Of course he didn't heat it. He said it would still park the metal, but it just took longer. Like 4 or 5 hours instead of 20 minutes.

Can't remember the details, but I do remember him saying it worked.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Ok good, I thought I remembered something like that. I'll give it a try, maybe Monday.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
F-Troop
Dazed and Confused

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]If your tank is too small, you may want to try the PVC pipe trick. You can take a section of PVC pipe (maybe 6" diameter) and glue weld a cap on one end. You've just made a vertical tank.

Measure the length of the pipe to be a few inches taller than your barreled action.

Fill the pipe/tank with water and see what the volume in gallons is. You can pour the water out into gallon containers to see how much solution you 'll need. If you preheat your solution to the required 195 degrees or so in a stainless container, you can pour it into the pipe. PVC can stand a few degrees above 212.

Now the trick to keep the solution hot is to use an immersion electrical heater - WITH THE COILS MADE OF STAINLESS - NOT ALUMINUM. Fancy smantcy kitchen stores carry them for heating that odd cup of coffee.

You can make a heating control unit to control the heat that the immersion heater puts out. Take an old electrical cord and connect it to a dimmer switch in an electical box. Connect the switch to an outlet in another electrical box. You now have a system for keeping the solution at the proper 195 degrees.

Truth be told.....a larger tank is easier.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
F-Troop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
RetVet
Statistical Error

Before I got a large tank, I used a PVC pipe plugged at one end to parkerize my Sten. Just heated the solution hotter than usual and poured it in the tube. Add gun and bingo. The solution should stay hot enough, long enough, to do the job.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Icarus
BUNKER FUNKER

dont sweat the barrel plugs, chrome is non ferrus, the park shouldnt effect it. If there is any build up a good cleaning and 3 down the pipe will fix you right up. Also I have parked with preheated solution in 36 inch long PVC window flower boxes, worked fine.

SON OF THE SOUTH, MAN OF THE BLUES

TITTIES

Dont make me have to do it!

3. Never stick it in crazy.

I STAND WITH ISRAEL

MoLoN LaBe MOTHERFUCKER

3%

To compel a man to subsidize with
his taxes the propagation of ideas which he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Sounds good guys, thanks. I might go ahead and try the pvc thing. Now I think I have to order new park solution, because the woman was in the (I mean MY) garage, and knocked some stuff into my park tank and then just left it in there because she didnt know if it was safe to reach in and get it out. The park I had came from Allegheny Arsenal and I liked it. I might go with the same stuff again.