Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 05-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Wolverine

Default A couple of questions on MAK-90

Hey guys, not really a building question but I have a couple of questions. First thing, the gun doesn't like HP's very well and in most magazines it messes up and won't feed them over half of the time. In a couple of magazines it fed them 100% but you had to work the action kinda fast the first time. Is there any type of feed ramp or something you can stick in to it to make it feed the HP's? ( I will probably just buy all FMJ's anyways from here on out).

Also, I wouldn't mind adding a scope mount to this rifle... how hard would it be to drill through the milled receiver and add on the side mount? I know then you could rivet it with the bolt cutter rivet device.

Next, the thumbhole stock is horrible IMO, and I figure I am either going to make my own stock or order one from ironwood sometime, do any of you guys have experience in this department? I think it may void the 922R thing and you need to put some compliance parts on it but it is milled so I think that equals 5 parts total or 4 total without muzzle break (it doesn't have a muzzle break). So a U.S. buttstock, grip, and handguards, and one piece off from a G2 trigger group would do the trick.

Any help is appreciated, it runs very smooth and puts the WASR-10 to shame IMO. Thanks again guys.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
NCshooter26

Sounds like the feed ramp may need to be polished a little, if it hasn't been shot much, or it could be that the mag catch assembly is a little low or high. If it runs FMJ's fine, that's what I'd stick with.
I've never installed a side mount scope rail, think if it were me, I'd keep it as original as possible. Plus, I never saw the use of putting optics on a 7.62x39 caliber AK.
As far as stocks go, Ironwood does make a stock set for the milled receiver MAK-90, both straight and angle cut. The complete set would count as 3, then like you said, you could use one part of a G2, or a new gas piston, etc. But the G2 part would be the quickest and easiest.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
WFO2

Some others on gere can tell you the law it is my beleif that you have to have six American made parts but I may be wrong .
WFO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
75_stingray
388ci Bored & Stroked SB
Target Champion

Yes,if you take the thumbhole stock off use a US made pistol grip, stock and forgrips for 3 of your parts count. Switch your trigger group to a G2 for another 3 parts to get your total to 6 US made parts.

There will always be a large group of people that will be preyed upon, consumed by predators just like in a school of fish.
Some fish don't venture out into the deep water, others do so only when they've developed big teeth, but most just swim along looking at how blue the water is.
(GN Member)
75_stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Raven

I've never had any feed problems with my Mac-90. As far as the stock set the thumbhole stock does suck. I put a Tec Force stock set on mine and I liked it just fne, as long as you put a US manufactured set on you'd be fine. The Mac-90 were a transitional rifle that was considered a sporter and came in from China, that started importing them just before the first bam took afect and are all Chinese parts anyway so US made would be just fine. The Chinese also imported an AK model caled the Hunter which had a straight pull stock on it no down grip at all with a 5 round mag, but accepts hi-caps also.

Check out Tapco they may have something you like there and they have the Tec Force stock set I was talking about! http://www.tapco.com/
that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. The Declaration of Independence
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
DorGunR

This is the stock I put on mine.......not pretty but I like it.
DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
75_stingray
388ci Bored & Stroked SB
Target Champion

Got the same setup on mine D.
75_stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Wolverine

Thanks guys for your info, I don't think the thing has had very many rounds through it at all. As far as needing 6 compliance parts that is for a stamped AKM that you usually see and with a muzzlebreak. 5 if you do not want a muzzlebreak, and if it is a milled receiver like showed in the picture there is no front trunnion so there is even 1 less than a stamped receiver which makes for a total of 4 without a muzzlebreak and 5 with one. I know I can get a regular standard AKM handguards to fit the front, just the rear is something that needs work.. I thought about how hard it would be to convert a Yugo buttstock to fit it but that looks like a lot of trouble. I seen a couple of people use standard stamped AKM stocks for the rear but they didn't impress me much so I figure the best thing is to order one from Ironwood eventually. Just my main concern was with the HP issue, I will just stick with FMJ's for all of my guns it just kind of irritates me that they don't always feed 100% in it. Anyways, thanks again guys
Old 05-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
Raven

DorGunr, that's the Tec Force stock I was talking about, my son and I both have those on our Mac's. I don't think you have to change any other parts on the weapon to make it complyant, because that is basicaly a thumbhole stock and US made, although a very big hole. Since the bottom of the grip it connected to the rest of the stock by the long thin section! We like ours also. I put a nice Tantel pin on style muzzel brake on mine helped reduce upward climb and reduced the flash by almost 70%. Thanks for posting that photo!!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Raven

Hey Wolverine you may want to get a gas tube scope mount made by B-Square and put a red dot scope on it, should be good to 200 yards fr pie plate sized targets, my son loves hit!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
DorGunR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
DorGunr, that's the Tec Force stock I was talking about, my son and I both have those on our Mac's. I don't think you have to change any other parts on the weapon to make it complyant, because that is basicaly a thumbhole stock, although a very big hole. Since the bottom of the grip it connected to the rest of the stock by the long thin section! We like ours also. I put a nice Tantel pin on style muzzel brake on mine helped upward climb and reduced the flash by almost 70%. Thanks for posting that photo!!!!!
Yeah Raven I didn't change anything but the stock, put it on both of mine then I gave one of 'em to SP along with a 75 round drum that I got from 5Knives.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
Wolverine

Hey Raven, thats a great idea. Where could I find one of these and what do they run in price? I agree it seems kind of stupid to scope an AK but I don't think the sights on them do too good of justice. I guess it is mainly the crappy Russian ammo that we buy so cheap and shoot so much. I think I may load some 7.62x39 up eventually and see how accurate you can get them.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
DorGunR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Hey Raven, thats a great idea. Where could I find one of these and what do they run in price? I agree it seems kind of stupid to scope an AK but I don't think the sights on them do too good of justice. I guess it is mainly the crappy Russian ammo that we buy so cheap and shoot so much. I think I may load some 7.62x39 up eventually and see how accurate you can get them.
http://www.gunaccessories.com/ati/Sy...ocks/index.asp
Old 05-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
Raven

Thumbs up

Do a search for Tec Force stocks, also Fiberforce stocks and or AdvancedTechnoligy stocks and you should find em, if not PM me and I'll try to hunt one up for ya!!! They also make the gas tubes with a picatinny rail built into em! They have em over at www.centerfiresystems.com for $59.95 + S&H.

Here's my son LockNLoads Mac 90 with the stock and frward scope mount and red dot scope.

Click to enlarge:
Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO2
Some others on gere can tell you the law it is my beleif that you have to have six American made parts but I may be wrong .
You are partly right.

6 complaince parts on a stamped reciever and 5 on a milled reciever. A milled AK only has 15 countable parts instead of 16.

And NCShooter has the bases covered on the feed problem. Many AK's do not like HP's. But it may eventually work in especially if it's a weapon that hasn't been shot much.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote