Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 04-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
Sanders

Default Finally rebuilt my Springfield Loaded 1911A1

A while back, I was talking about doing this.

Since, I know the hammer pin is NOT supposed to come out the right side of the pistol, I figured my old pin was worn out. Now, I got this pistol sometime around the middle of 2000. I swapped it straight across to a dealer on Gunbroker for my (pre-Bush ban) Franchi SPAS12. To this day, I still feel like I got the better end of the deal. Sure, the shotgun was valued at around $1,000 during the ban, and the pistol at around $700, but all I could think of when the guy agreed to the trade was, SUCKERRRR!

Over the past, almost 20 years, I could not tell you how many rounds I put through it. I'm sure it is North of 10,000. Replaced the extractor, ejector, and firing pin and spring once and the recoil spring twice now. The original two-piece barrel still looks good, but I'm sure a new one wouldn't hurt it a bit.

Anyway, while I swapped the pins, I also got a Wilson Combat spring kit with a reduced weight hammer spring and an 18-1/2 lb. recoil spring.

I went out today to test it. It was as stiff as a new pistol. Odd thing was the slide would not lock back on my Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags until I had about 25 rounds through it. It locked back fine on my Triple K Colt-marked mags. But, by the time I was done, lockback was sure on each mag. Shot all reloads. Some were 200 gr. jacketed semi-wadcutters, 230 gr. round nose lead, and 185 gr. Hornady XTP's (my souped-up coyote loads). Only problem was the lockback, and that solved itself. The hammer pin stayed in, where it was working itself out with just one mag, before. Did a lot of weak hand shooting, as well. I'm starting to think I am better with my left hand than my right hand...

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:43 AM   #2
4thIDvet
slug

Interesting. Just watched a vid can't remember his name off hand testing two .45s a Colt and an RIA for performance. Both were fine but the RiA did not like a certain brand of hollow point like not at all like.
The slide was not locking back on them final round but it was feeding. Test a number of different ammos maybe Sanders that could be it? Like my .22 mag rifle it hates a certain ammo and be damned I can't remember which one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=809ttTh9XUM
Old 04-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
JD Miller
Fake Member

Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Interesting. Just watched a vid can't remember his name off hand testing two .45s a Colt and an RIA for performance. Both were fine but the RiA did not like a certain brand of hollow point like not at all like.
The slide was not locking back on them final round but it was feeding. Test a number of different ammos maybe Sanders that could be it? Like my .22 mag rifle it hates a certain ammo and be damned I can't remember which one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=809ttTh9XUM
Hey 4th, it started working as it was supposed to before my shooting session was done.

I figured it out, though. Since I replaced the plunger tube spring and the little pins that go out either end, it made those things stiffer. It made the safety stiffer on the one end, and the slide stop stiffer on the other. The 8 round Chip McCormick mags must just have a slightly weaker spring than the 7 round Triple-K mags do, which would not allow them to engage the slide stop on the last round. After shooting it and getting everything all "settled in" it ran like a champ.

This pistol has never hiccuped on ammo, and I've run some pretty sketchy stuff through it, but it just always fires it out and asks more more.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
4thIDvet
slug

That is great just the little things.
My neighbor brings over a older 1911 .45 and says it is frozen? Frozen? She was not kidding like frozen trigger slide hell even the safety frozen. Hammer locked back so I released the slide pointing in a safe direction.
Weird recoil spring guide rod thicker on one end and they had the spring in backward so it did not slide on all the way.
Told the girl it took me hours to fix it and I needed a hundred $$. Reaching for her money and I said just kidding yah honey it took 5 minutes no charge.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #6
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

I have found, using mags that don't have the metal follower, the slide will not lock back when empty.

I have 4 of these types of magazines. 1 broke & I tossed it. The other 3 are for 'range use only'.

Other than those 3 mags, the rest are either straight from Springfield Armory or Wilson Combat. Once those 3 mags malfunction, I'm done with aftermarket mags.

Glad to hear the 'old girl' is up to snuff again.
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote