Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Computer Forum
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Computer Forum For questions and conversations about Computers and the Internet

Old 12-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
RTO

Lightbulb Smart Home Automation

On Thanksgiving Day my daughter brought her Google Home smart speaker to show me and also play holiday music in the background throughout the day. I wasn't allowed to turn the Onkyo surround sound on because of my wife's rowdy siblings not acting their age.

My daughter has had her smart speaker for a few years now. She controls the Nest thermostat and inside and outside cameras with it. Her house is filled with smart light bulbs also.

I had to buy one and several stores had the Google Home mini on sale for $29.95 with a $10 rebate.

The smart speaker is fun to play with. The sound quality isn't great but sounds alright for it's size. We have it located in the kitchen so when busy the verbal commands are convenient.

So we want to add a smart thermostat and a few cameras for outside. The hold up right now is waiting for the Consumer Electronics Show in January to find out what new models are available plus we want a better smart speaker with more features.

I'm just curious about if you guys are using a smart setup and maybe get some ideas about available gadgets.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Sanders

I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but I still prefer my appliances "dumb". My "smart" Maytag washer has already gone through 2 motherboards (yeah, it's a dang washing machine!) replaced under warranty.

I did order a Blink surveillance camera that works on a motion detector and wi-fi and sends alerts and video to my smart phone. Haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works. I might have to upgrade my phone, though. I noticed that the new GoPro upgrade is not compatible with my old Android OS anymore.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
RTO

I don't believe that smart appliances that involve water are in my future. Our washer and dryer are twenty years old and I hope to find analog replacements when the time comes.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
aviator
unum de multis

The only "automated" thing I have is my thermostat, which I can control from my cell phone anywhere in the world and it's quite handy. I've been away on a trip and set it to 80º. just as I start on the way back I bring it down to 71º and the house is cold by the time I get there. I also have a 4Ter hard drive hooked up to my router and I can access files from anywhere.

I'm a bit skeptic about having something with a microphone in my house that is constantly hooked up to the net.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
RTO

There is a switch to mute the mic on this model or just unplug it.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
I don't believe that smart appliances that involve water are in my future. Our washer and dryer are twenty years old and I hope to find analog replacements when the time comes.
The repairman said if he has to come out again, he's bringing us a new washer.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
The repairman said if he has to come out again, he's bringing us a new washer.
That is the way to handle a problem washer, it must not be a Samsung.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

I try to fix my own appliances as long as I spend less than half its cost, otherwise I buy a new one.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
WJH308
Jack of all trades

I’ve been using TP-Link switches, outlets, bulbs, etc. Can control things with the cell phone, and that fucking liberal Alexa.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
dhr
Banned

Ahhh...the internet of things and interconnected devices/appliances...

So the NSA can view and track you in every room of your home.

“Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” -Lord Byron
dhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
aviator
unum de multis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
I try to fix my own appliances as long as I spend less than half its cost, otherwise I buy a new one.
Talking of the devil....my dishwasher gave up again, it's eleven years old and gets used every day and a few years ago I did a lot of repairs on it. Out it went...got to my friends and he got me a new one in just in time for Christmas, so guess what my gift was? Nah but the wife had to go out and spend money and since I've been complaining about my pillow she got me a "My Pillow" from the guy on TV. I did sleep better last night.

Following RTO's comments I did get my wife a Google Home. She loves it when she says "Hey Google, play Christmas Music" and it plays. I just set it up so she can make phone calls to friends and relatives from her recliner without reaching for the phone and it works my thermostat too.
aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
slug

Years ago a guy that I worked with

was telling about the new TV that he

had bought...why it even had a remote

control...Another old fellow was taking

all of this in and he put his two cents in

"It will be a cold day in hell when he got

to lazy to tell his wife to get up and change

the channel for him...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
MrKalashnikov
Deplorable

I still open my 1893 Victorian home with a skeleton key. Guess "smart" hasn't caught on with the missus & me yet.
MrKalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTO View Post
RTO do NOT not get rid of that washer NOOOOOOO. All the frigging new ones are "water savers." WTF over I live in the water in a damn swamp.
I very rarely leave the house due to this damn handicap leg pain. But I have to get up and see you and my pretty girl Kaye. She must show me how to make southern style cornbread, please.
The dang new washers give yah enough rinse water to 1/4 wash the dang soap out. My feets are itchin.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #15
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Those automated systems are all fine and dandy until you get home late one night and tell HAL to open the pod bay doors and it says "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that."