Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Sights, Scopes, Optics, Binoculars, and Flashlights
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 11-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

Default Budget nigh vision or thermal optics?

We have a field behind our house, 150-200 yards deep with a tree line on the far side with apartments behind the tree line.

I’m not a fan of not being able to see out in the field at night. Are there any decent night vision or thermal optics for the tight budgeted? I know night Vision I would be limited to generation 1, and thermal I have no knowledge of.

My upper limits of my budget would be 200-250 which I know won’t get me much, if anything.

Any suggestions?

Heîs oiōnòs áristos, amýnesthai perì pátrēs- "There is only one omen, to fight for one's country"
klauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
baboon
slug

At that price range a knockoff high lumen weapon light.
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:28 AM   #3
4thIDvet
slug

FLIR Scout TK Pocket-Sized Thermal Vison Handheld Monocular Camera

Explore outdoors-at night and in lowlight conditions with this pocket-sized thermal vision monocular. Simple to use, the thermal vision helps you see people, objects, and animals from over 100 yards (90m) away. The Scout TK provides still image and video recording, making the the perfect companion whether in the back country or in the backyard.

Minimum Advertised Price $599.00 US

https://www.globaltestsupply.com/pro...waAusrEALw_wcB
Old 11-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Sanders

You may want to keep saving to the $600 range. I think Leupold has something in that range, as well as the one posted above.

I bought a $189 night vision monocular from Optics Planet a while back. It really isn't that great, even though it came with a head mount that can place it over your eye. I believe it is 1st Generation NV tech. Unless you have some ambient light for it to gather, it just doesn't do anything. You can use the built in IR illuminator, but that would give away your position to anyone else with an IR detector.

I believe the Leupold is a thermal monocular, which is what I would go with. You can't see someone concealed in the woods with an NV device, but you can see someone hiding behind bushes with a thermal.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
baboon
slug

So much of the cheap night vision is more of an Infa Red viewer. Good IR light are exspensive.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
klauss
Poof no eyebrows

Thanks guys, didn’t think their would be much.

Need to find a way to keep an eye on the field behind my house.
klauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
baboon
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauss View Post

26.5mm Parachute Illumination Flares
Old 11-21-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
Sanders

Trip flares are hella fun.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #9
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauss View Post

klauss run some underground wire out to your back field and set some of these up. I have these all around the yard and if anything moves it turns night into day.
Plus their LED so the bulbs will last a lifetime.

Amico 3 Head LED Security Lights Motion Sensor Outdoor Adjustable 40W, 3500LM, 5000K, IP65 Waterproof, ETL Certified, Exterior Flood Light for Garage, Yard(Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:47 PM   #10
4thIDvet
slug

Spinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Trip flares are hella fun.
Trip flares holy sheet I wonder how many tens of millions $$ those cost the poor American taxpayers? One went off it was like the battle of the Bulge times 10.
Every pin head and his brother went full auto frags flying artillery claymores all kinds of implements of destruction. Windy night yah try to tell the A holes its a branch or something. Nobody listened so just watch the damn show.
Either that or yah find a poor mutilated deer in the morning.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #11
Sanders

A trip flare inside an ammo can full of blanks makes for a good time, too.

One of my drill sergeants at Ft. Benning made one of those booby traps for our final FTX which had us in a dug in defensive position and a company of guys from Ranger school had to infiltrate our lines. They didn't do very well.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #12
Sanders

Flashing Arrow

Sionyx Aurora Sport – Poor Man’s PVS-14

Quote:
Poor Man’s James Bond Night Vision Goggles

I have actually been debating the subject of this week’s review for a very long time. It seemed too good to possibly be true, and the price tag was just steep enough to keep me from gambling on it. If you have ever seen the videos or images of full-color night vision, you have seen the Sionyx Aurora in action. Having been a military guy with access to some pretty whiz-bang gear, some of which I could not tell you about without risking jail, I had serious doubts. I have never seen anything that will do color night vision, and I had thermals and goggles costing $100,000 per device. So I concluded that at a price tag of near $800 ( no additional zeros), there had to be a trick. No way this could possibly be real.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/s...pvs-14-review/
Old 12-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Sionyx Aurora Sport – Poor Man’s PVS-14
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/s...pvs-14-review/
Nice seems good for the price. Only problem I see is the offset angled imagery I don't think I could live with that.
Hell my vertigo would have me walking into stuff. LOL.
Like I posted before with all technology prices will come down. Hell when HD T.V. first came out you had to be a millionaire to buy now the a few hundred bucks gets one a super good product.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
Nice seems good for the price. Only problem I see is the offset angled imagery I don't think I could live with that.
Hell my vertigo would have me walking into stuff. LOL.
Like I posted before with all technology prices will come down. Hell when HD T.V. first came out you had to be a millionaire to buy now the a few hundred bucks gets one a super good product.
When I was in the Army, we only had the AN-PVS5 goggles for our high-speed night optics. Usually 2 sets per squad. Biggest problem with them was that you had no, as in zero, depth perception. Nobody wanted to wear them because more than one person had stepped off into a hole or a ditch and twisted an ankle or broken a leg. We were better off without anything than those cursed goggles. Most of the time, we just left them on the APC for the driver and TC.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:57 AM   #15
Bluntforce
slug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97l5xvslmsg