Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Shotguns
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 02-23-2022, 09:50 PM   #1
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Default What shotgun would you recommend, for a 15 year old female that shoots Trap?

She's a petite, young lady, in need of a nice Trap gun. She's currently had malfunctions with a Remington 1100 and Mossberg 930 (both 12 Ga.), and her grandmother, is looking for a nice (but not too expensive), semi auto shotgun for her.

I suggested something 'recoil operated', such as an older Browning Auto-5, or Remington Model 11, since it seems the 'gas operating systems' of the 1100 & 930 got fouled with 'soot'.

Or, should she just spend more time cleaning them after a match?
Hunter07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:51 AM   #2
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

I shot an 1100 for a couple years. Cleaned after every 2 rounds of trap or skeet. Switched over to a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge for trap and clays when i started reloading then a Beretta Onyx 20 gauge for skeet. I just have a thing for over / unders. Never had a malfunction with the 1100 but i needed to be able to retain my hulls for reloading.
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Sanders

She should get an over/under that fits her. My oldest daughter is petite and short and she shot an O/U 12 ga. for years with no problems. It was a Charles Daly made by Miroku of Japan.

CZ makes an O/U called the "Condor". I've looked at them, and they seem well made, but I haven't shot one.

For a gas gun, I can't say enough good things about the Beretta shotguns. I haven't had so much as a hiccup in I don't know how many cases of shells in my Outlander A300. If she has to have a semi-auto, look at the A400 series, which are a little more expensive than the A300.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

She should get an over/under that fits her

How many times have we had a friend or whoever hit yah with the question?
"I need a pistol what kind should I get"? With all due respect that Hunter wants to help the young lady that is virtually impossible to answer.
Price be damned what someone loves another may hate.
Hunter take the young lady to one of these trap skeet clubs and I bet yah money the guys girls will let her try their shotguns and be more than glad to advise her. That and the fun stores have her pick up different ones.
Is it heavy or light easy to get on target feel right???
Bottom line? Try before yah buys.. Good luck..
Old 02-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

The young lady is in TX and her grandmother was just lamenting to me the other night, about the two failures of the shotguns she's been using. I'll ask how often she cleans them (if at all), since they're both gas operated semiauto loaders.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
Sanders

I'm not going to say their problem is what my middle daughter had with her new Black Aces Tactical shotgun, which is gas operated. She was having failures with about every other pull of the trigger using Federal and Winchester factory ammo. Very frustrating when you're all excited to try out a brand new gun you just purchased.

She asked me to try it, and I had no problems at all. Turned out she wasn't holding it tucked in tight enough. She should have known better, but for some reason she wasn't holding it correctly. As soon as she started holding it right, the problem went away.

I only say that because that's the first negative thing I've heard about the Mossberg 930.

Like 4th said, those folks at the range would love to take a young one under their wing and help her figure out what works best for her. Sporting Clays people are even nicer than Trap folks.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
baboon
slug

With no mention of budget but considering the sport
https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/...arget-shotguns
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #8
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Our conversation this morning:
Quote:
Me: Thank you! Quick question.....what type of failures is she having with the shotguns? How often are they taken down and cleaned well?

Her: The Mossberg quit cycling. It had just been cleaned well at the gunsmiths. The Remington actually fell apart in her hands while shooting. the recoil spring broke off from the receiver.

Me: Oh shit!

Her: Right the gas ports were not clogged on the Mossberg. . I don't know what it's issues is. I sent it with one of the boys to see if they could figure it out.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #9
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
With no mention of budget but considering the sport
https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/...arget-shotguns
I was going to suggest Benelli also......until I saw the prices of them. My friend here in MN, has a M4, and it's super reliable.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:58 PM   #10
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

"The Remington actually fell apart in her hands while shooting. the recoil spring broke off from the receiver."
i've never heard of that. what loads are she shooting and who is looking after her gun.
i have a friend that shoots doves in Mexico that wears out an 1100 in .410 and leaves the gun after hundreds of birds with no issues. before our gun club was turned into another golf course the rented 1100 remingtons and they always worked. migrate her to a over / under and don't look back.
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:44 PM   #11
Hunter07
I'm a grumpy SOB

I dunno what loads she's shooting but, since she's a member of a 4-H Trap/Skeet League, I would presume 'trap/skeet' loads.......
Old 02-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #12
baboon
slug

https://www.brileyfirearms.com/c-112...-shotguns.aspx
baboon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:43 AM   #13
500grains
Soldier of Allah

The Benelli semi autos seem to tame recoil quite well.