Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Gardening, Animal Husbandry, and Yard Care
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

ant Back yard chickens?

We have decided to try raising a couple(2 at first). We need chickens that are quite, docile, hardy and good egg layers. They have to be able to deal with wet cold winters and hot summers of east TN. We have narrowed our selection down to the Australorp and Orpington(hens only). We will coup them with limited free ranging.

We are looking at this coop:

I know it is expensive but it is small, discrete, durable, gets good reviews and looks like my kids play ground equipment so it wont raise eyebrows like a hen house or some other home made structure and I don't have room for a make shift tool shed or dog kennel.

I am in a neighborhood so they need to be confined. Do you guys have any suggestions? Do any of you have any experience with these breeds?

Any advice would help.

thanks
GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Sanders

That's a fancy coop!

Just know that they get noisy when they squeeze out their eggs.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
aviator
unum de multis

Any suggestions?....sure......chicken and rice cuban style..
Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
hangfire
Home on the range

I have Rhode Island Reds. Good layers and hardy in the winter. If it gets really cold like below 20 degrees, a small heat lamp is all they need. Also get a heated water fount for winter. Just don't let 'em drink beer frickin lushes.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

There are really no quiet chickens, but some are quieter than others. We have a Barred Rock that seems pretty quiet and the one Buff Orpington is quiet. Although, they do make noise when laying. Whatever you do, don't get a Rhode Island Red rooster...

I'll message you a link to a good poultry forum.

Brian

Here at the Dirty Dozen's Bunker, we have no problems, only solutions.
Czubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
Whatever you do, don't get a Rhode Island Red rooster...
Brian
I was getting ready to suggest that or Leghorns.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
hangfire
Home on the range

Quote:
Whatever you do, don't get a Rhode Island Red rooster...
You don't need a rooster if you just want eggs. My city doesn't allow roosters.
hangfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

We bought a bunch of chicks that were supposed to all be females, but one turned out to be a noisy rooster. We kept him after debating on whether to get rid of him. Owell, he gives the girls something to do in their off time.

G'Nut, you do realize that you have to move that tractor every day, so they can tear up the whole yard equally and not just one spot.

Brian
Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
hangfire
Home on the range

Quote:
We bought a bunch of chicks that were supposed to all be females,
Same with me. got a rooster in the bunch. Had him for about 8 months till I got rid of him, then the neighbors bitched cause they liked hearing him in the morning. Go figure.
hangfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Sanders

Quote:
We bought a bunch of chicks that were supposed to all be females, but one turned out to be a noisy rooster. We kept him after debating on whether to get rid of him. Owell, he gives the girls something to do in their off time.

G'Nut, you do realize that you have to move that tractor every day, so they can tear up the whole yard equally and not just one spot.

Brian
Got one like that, too. Trained him to roost on my shoulder while I sat out on the porch in the evenings. Lived in town, at the time, so when he started crowing, I gave him to my sister. First day there, he beat the hell out of a chicken hawk.
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfire View Post
Same with me. got a rooster in the bunch. Had him for about 8 months till I got rid of him, then the neighbors bitched cause they liked hearing him in the morning. Go figure.
I'm getting used to hearing him crow first at first light. I could understand why they miss it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Got one like that, too. Trained him to roost on my shoulder while I sat out on the porch in the evenings. Lived in town, at the time, so when he started crowing, I gave him to my sister. First day there, he beat the hell out of a chicken hawk.
I've heard of others that have trained them for that. The one we have is a coop only boy and he seems quite content to stay that way. I could understand how he could hurt a chicken hawk, just by the size alone.

Here's a great link to use, too: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenders...ks/chooks.html

Brian
Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
GARANDNUT
Pontificator Maximus

Quote:

Brian
I am going to build a boxed in raised bed area near my garden to put the coop and run on. I am debating on a substrate but for now I will use soil covered with aspen mulch. I am thinking about something like this:

or this

GARANDNUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
10 Bears
Ron North's Jewels Champion, Flash Poker Champion

GARANDNUT? I just don't know what to recommend.
Aside from a coop style that I've never encountered.
I reckon your hens will be the most pampered in the neighborhood.
I hope they lay long and are very hardy.

I still have a big hen house.
Told the wife that I had no desire to tend critters in the Winter any more.
10 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
Czubek
slug
Cat Bowling Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARANDNUT View Post
I am going to build a boxed in raised bed area near my garden to put the coop and run on. I am debating on a substrate but for now I will use soil covered with aspen mulch. I am thinking about something like this:

or this

I see what you're doing. The only problem I can see is making sure the bedding is kept clean and as odor free as possible. s stink to high heaven if the bedding isn't right. We use a system where the bedding is pine shavings layered so it only needs cleaned out once or twice a year. We put a bed of about three inches to start and build on that as needed. Right now it's about a foot deep. It will self compost the manure and there is almost zero odor, even in the heat of summer. It's healthier for the birds, too. A side benefit is that it helps warm the coop in winter, if it's started in the spring or early summer. We'll clean it all out in spring and start over.

This is just something to think about and a big reason for the tractor idea. Moving it around will keep the odor to a minimum.

Here are some tractor ideas. Sometimes, with a little creativity, you can hide them quite well.
http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html
http://www.backyardchickens.com/chic...p-tractor.html

Brian
Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Preacher
Chaplain/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARANDNUT View Post
We need chickens that are quite, docile, hardy and good egg layers. They have to be able to deal with wet cold winters and hot summers of east TN.
Our climate is similar to yours and we always did well with Golden Comets. They are a Rhode Island Red crossed with something else, which the name escapes me right now. Gentle & friendly, quiet, and the colder it gets, the better they lay.

We had a winter a while back where it was -36*. We had 24 hens and got 25 eggs that morning. I guess the rooster laid one. Large, huge brown eggs!!!

Easy to tell apart, even from chicks. Roosters are white, hens are red. They definitely fit the criteria you are looking for.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done.

Ronald Reagan - 1964
-------------------------------------
Bunker Member #4.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote