Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Gardening, Animal Husbandry, and Yard Care
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Default DECLARED WAR ON THE ARMADILLO!

He's been around for a few weeks making an occasional group of small holes in the grass on my side yard.

I tolerated his assault on my yard.

Until now.

This morning during my sunrise walk around, I see that little bastard has the top of my drainfield hill torn to shit.
It looks like a bombing range there's so many holes in it. Some a deep as 12" and 8-10" across the top.

Do any of you gentlemen have any ideas or input for a repellant?
I keep my Marlin 60 / 22 lr right next to the back door just in case he launches an attack but he's out there at night when I'm not.

I've got to the point where I go outside 2-3 times at night to look for him since I don't sleep longer than 2 hours at a time and then I need to get up for a bit.

Short of trip wires, claymores, punji pits, air strike or me sitting out there all night in my ghillie suit, anyone have any other ideas?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
mr-ak-47
Massa di Avatars

....careful shooting...had a few shots bounce off them lil fooking things..

....they usually leave after a week...few days...no food...good for the lawn thou in the spring...on the plus side.

One person says something stupid, and the other stupid people hear him, and the next thing you know, you're getting tortured in a gulag.

Welcome to democracy, where your rights depend on the howling of the mob.

mr-ak-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Holes a foot deep and 10 inches across sounds too big for an armadillo. That kind of damage sounds more like a feral pig.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Not a piggies or feral hog.
Holes are cone shaped all the way to the bottom. My drainfield hill is all soft yellow sand and I had a helluva time getting grass to grow where it looked half way decent.

I did notice while we were plowing the soil 25ft away, there was a shit load of various sized grubs in the dirt which, I suspect, is what he's looking for.

We had pig 'o plenty on the property we sold in Osceola Co. Come spring they would tear it up so bad it looked like somebody dragged a disc attachment across the property.

I know what their calling card looks like.
My dog got a hold of him about 2 weeks ago while he was running his little armor plated ass off toward to woods.
Dog grabbed him and tossed him up twice before he made it to the woods.
Shooter 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-ak-47 View Post
....careful shooting...had a few shots bounce off them lil fooking things..

....they usually leave after a week...few days...no food...good for the lawn thou in the spring...on the plus side.

He's been here at least a month now. Started on the grass right next to the house and working his way toward the woods - about 150+ ft or so.

It seems he found much to eat in that drainfield soil. What a mess.

And thanks for the reminder about 22lr bouncing off them. Reckon maybe I should break out the 338 Lapua.
That ought to get his attention.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Well then, you're back to the ghillie suit and claymores. Traps are pretty ineffective with armadillos.
Eightball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Well then, you're back to the ghillie suit and claymores. Traps are pretty ineffective with armadillos.
I was hoping you weren't going to say that. I was really hoping you were going to have a real simple solution like "have the wife dance naked under a full moon at midnight chanting a Kenyan hunting song to scare away all unwanted critters."

Speaking of my wife, she was perusing the internet and found where some hippy faggot mentioned mothballs. Scatter a box or 10 around the area and 'dillos will run like hell.

Sounds expensive. More expensive than a .22 lr CCI Stinger or .223 Rem cartridge.

I'll get the little bastard. If it's the very last thing I do, I'll get him.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
RTO

I've had an on going problem with them here. They seem to work part time/seasonal?

I accidentally trapped one in a trap that I had set for possums under my deck. I read that the only way to trap them is to find a route/path that they use regularly and place a trap there.

Mothballs don't work from my experience. Maybe a truckload spread out all over the yard would do it.

Good luck.

Make America Like Florida
RTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #9
Bluntforce
slug

I have one that dicks around under the street light in the front yard so it appears that light doesn't bother them. If that part of your yard has a light over it leave it on over night so you can see the little shit.

Sometimes they'll get behind something and figure they're hidden and stay, then you can shoot through it. Cardboard a couple feet wide propped up against a fence might entice them to stop and shelter. Of the two I've killed one thought it found cover but merely had concealment, that was in the day. The other one vapor locked on digging a hole in the dark and let me walk up on it while shining a surefire mounted on the barrel of a .22. Don't know if they are usually that focused.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

I made 5 trips over to the area where the little sonofabitch has been digging.
Nothing up till 2200 when I fell asleep. I went outside again at 0230 and 0345 - still nothing.
At 0515 when I went outside to wander around the compound, I found the little bastard had paid me a visit.

So, there I am at 5:15 in the morning, AR-15 with red dot and Surefire light in hand, yelling into the woods "enjoy your last days alive you little mutherfucker." "Your days are numbered." And various other curse word laden threats of death.

It's a good thing my closest neighbor is a mile down the road.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
Sanders

Possum on the half shell - nothing a little judicious use of C-4 can't take care of.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #12
Shooter 14
Miserable Bastard

The war is over!
I slept on the couch last night which meant I was up every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes due to lack of comfort.

Each time I got up I wandered to the area where that armour plated rat has been digging.
No joy.

Until 0530 when I went out side in the pitch blackness (left all the floods off except for the place where the attack took place) went into the garage for a bit.
At 0545 as I was walking back to the house I saw him waddling toward the area he's been tearing up.
Flipped off the safety, flipped on the red dot, dropped to one knee and **BOOM**.

All done. One shot, one kill.

Although I really wish I had remembered to put some ear plugs in. That AR 15 is loud when fired standing next to the garage.

Anybody got any good smoked possum recipes?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #13
aviator
unum de multis

If you see one, there may be more.

Mexicans eat those critters. Some cases of Leprosy have been reported from eating them and handling them. I would just dig a hole and use it as fertilizer.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #14
4thIDvet
slug

One shot one kill good man Shooter.
Whitefeather's name is taken so you can be called Eagle Feather.
Contact RTO next time to call in the big boys and save ammo.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #15
4thIDvet
slug

Spinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
If you see one, there may be more.

Mexicans eat those critters. Some cases of Leprosy have been reported from eating them and handling them. I would just dig a hole and use it as fertilizer.
Fred so the old Sarge brings in a huge pot of chili to the local V.F.W. Everyone was scarfing it down damn it was good.
Sarge this is great what is the meat? Armadillos. Holy sheet Men women and children were lining up to projectile vomit.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote