Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Outdoor Sports & Activities > Fishing, Boating, Canoeing, Kayaking
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
4thIDvet
slug

Thumbs up California fishmonger buys 70-pound octopus to set it free

A fishmonger in central California reportedly purchased a 70-pound octopus so he could release it due to a “culmination of events” in his own life that includes learning about new research into the intelligence of octopus.

So when a dock manager called to inform him about a massive octopus caught in a crab trap, he forked over “a couple of hundred” and brought it back to his market. An employee there named it Fred.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/23...t-it-free.html

Swim free Freddy swim.
Researchers are studying just how smart the octopus are. A show I watched a guy set up two tanks with one in each. He set up a super hard course of moves for one to get its dinner blocking the others view.
Took it quite awhile but it figured the problem out. The other guy then watched how his buddy did it and in two seconds got dinner. They is super smart.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Sanders

One of the few things I regret from when I had my dive boat in Seattle, is that I never went down where the giant octopi live and went diving with them.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
kostner

Nice story Thanks for posting.
kostner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
4thIDvet
slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostner View Post
Nice story Thanks for posting.
Incredible yes kostner here is one of the experiments I found. The more they study them the more they realize how super intelligent they are.

A demonstration of an octopus learning through observation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwJXvlTWDw

Sanders I think their called the "Humbolt Octopus" along the west coast?? Not sure on that? But they get super protective of divers coming into their A.O. and don't necessarily attack but let yah know they don't want to be hassled.
4thIDvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Eightball
Proud WECSOG graduate

Octopi are really interesting animals. This is one of my favorites.

Quote:
The Pacific Northwest tree octopus (Octopus paxarbolis) can be found in the temperate rainforests of the Olympic Peninsula on the west coast of North America. Their habitat lies on the Eastern side of the Olympic mountain range, adjacent to Hood Canal. These solitary cephalopods reach an average size (measured from arm-tip to mantle-tip,) of 30-33 cm. Unlike most other cephalopods, tree octopuses are amphibious, spending only their early life and the period of their mating season in their ancestral aquatic environment. Because of the moistness of the rainforests and specialized skin adaptations, they are able to keep from becoming desiccated for prolonged periods of time, but given the chance they would prefer resting in pooled water.
https://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/
Old 05-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Legion489
Dud

NOT A JOKE! The announcer kept claiming it was a serious story and he was not making it up. I am serious, REAL (non-demonrat anti-global warming) scientists are now claiming octopus are alien life forms. They can not find them in any type of fossil record and now think they were brought here on comets or some such thing as eggs according to a radio report I heard.
Legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
slug

Japs eat them...
44044 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
aviator
unum de multis

Ah geez, nice but couldn't they have named it something else?
Old 05-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
A.J.
Dud

I love to fish, like the taste and keep just about everything that's legal. That said, I don't ENJOY killing them. It's a necessary evil. A guy's gotta eat, you know!
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote