Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #16
flopshot
Constitutional bigot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Have people discontinued using hammers on AK-47 rifles, the reason I ask is that's all I've used on them, I don't have a press and won't buy one for AK-47 rifles.

I've removed and installed barrels with a stack of pennies and a large hammer.

Installed barrels with a drift pin and a few penny's to cushion the blow.

I know I'm a bad person for doing this but hell they were just AK-47's and worked just fine after the beating.
what the hell do old worn out drag racers know about using a hammer ?
flopshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
sardo67

uhhh at the risk of sounding stupid what is all this talk about hammers and presses? really have no idea how an AK is assembled, is there a website that tells me step by step with pics how to do this? (other than here)
sardo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #18
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Aaaah, so ya missed the glory-days, did ya Sardo ? Someone here'll point ya in the right direction. Ordinarily, I'd do it myself, but I've had too much vodka and DDP.

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #19
Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopshot
what the hell do old worn out drag racers know about using a hammer ?

sardo67 Do a search for "building ak-47 rifle kits" you'll get lots of information. When you actually get around to working on yours we have folks here at that will help you if you have a problems. Many members here have built AK-47's of various types, lots of help if you need it.

BTW the only purchased receiver I have experience with is "Global Trades" they build a nice factory specification AK receiver IMO
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #20
Moon
IncogNegro
Gyroball Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Bin Laden Liquors Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Ms Pacman Champion

Honestly ? For what it costs now ? Shit, just go buy one.

Find some monkey with a 90-series MAK-90, give him $350 for it, and you'll be waaaay ahead.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #21
sardo67

i see what you are talking about Moon, i almost bought one of those Romanian WASR-2 AK-74 things for 300 from J&G sales but it's more the fact that i want to build one more that i actually want one. how are those 300 74's? i can't Imagen there that good, i believe that you get what you pay for. well at least 95% of the time.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #22
Moon
IncogNegro

Sardo: The Romanian production of the AK world is by far the worst/ugliest. They definitely have the absolutely worst fit and finish of any of the MANY countries that ever produced an AK-copy. Canted gas-blocks, bent front sight posts, fucked up rear sight blocks, etc etc. The legal trigger-packs that are required to be installed in them before they're imported are usually absolute shit. They work fine, but they're R-O-U-G-H as a wood-haulers ass.

Do yourself a favor, go buy a Norinco MAK-90. Pay no more than $350 for it. Admire the BLUED metal finish, not spray-paint or a half-ass parkarize job. Also, if you're any taller or larger than a middle-school girl, you'll appreciate the length of the MAK-90 stock. If you don't like the thumbhole stock, replace it with a FiberForce stock (look for the one with the cheek-piece, not that other piece of crap).
Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #23
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Are those Norinco MAK 90s going for that much now? I bought one of those things right after the AW ban went into effect. It's one of the butt ugly ones with the thumbhole stock and no flash suppressor. I think I gave somewhere around $140 for it new. I later got a fairly nice original MAK 90 stock set, and put it on mine. But I kept the thumbhole stock. I figure it might end up as a collectors item someday.

I wish now I would have bought a crate of them at that price.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #24
NCshooter26

Shit, good luck finding a MAK for $350...I went to a local show today, and there were probably 4 or 5 MAK-90's on dealers tables. I think the cheapest was $450, with the most expensive one being about $500. I'd never pay more than $350 for one either, Moon, but I haven't seen one at that price in at least 4 or 5 years.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #25
Broncodarts

Keep your eyes open. Check pawn shops, small mom and pop dealers, the local paper, print ads etc. They are out there. I saw one in a pawn shop in Rock Hill,SC last year for $300 that I should have bought.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #26
Moon
IncogNegro

Price will depend on what part of the country you're in. Down here, they're still running about $350. There are a few fools out there that get on GunBroker, find a NIB MAK90 for $600 and try to ask $750 for their beat up-ass jack-handle. They can still be had at a decent price around here.

A lot of people give me shit over glamorizing the MAK90 as one of the best AK's ever made, but in my opinion, they are. They give all of the function of a MAADI or WASR or any other AKM, but the receiver shell is 1.5mm instead of the standard 1mm. Plus, I like the uniform blue of the MAK90. And the triggers.... *drool*
Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #27
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

I'm not even sure if I've ever fired my MAK-90. My son took it out about two times and put some rounds through it. I've probably shot my SAR-3 more than any of my other AK clones. It's a fairly accurate rifle at 200 yards all things considering.

I've got one of those Russian Kobra red dots on it.

Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #28
Moon
IncogNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
It's a fairly accurate rifle at 200 yards all things considering.

I've got one of those Russian red dots on it.
Aaaaah. Gus and I have had several conversations about the drawbacks of the venerable AK-series. We pretty much concurred that the biggest accuracy problems with the rifle are the TERRIBLE sights that it comes with, and no practical way to mount a scope or install a superior set of sights... unless the mount is affixed to the side of the receiver.

Charlie has a .223 Faggia (Saiga) that he got from Red Faggot firearms, which is actually a really great rifle, for what it is. I was really shocked, it was really really smooth and the trigger was nice and crisp. Accurate too ! I attribute the accuracy in that rifle mostly to the smoothness of the trigger and the Kobra optics on it. If I absolutely had to have only one AK, and cost wasn't an issue, and there were no REAL rifles (M1A, FAL, AR-10, etc) available, I'd want one like that.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #29
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Here is a better picture of my SAR-3.

And here is a picture of my primitive MAK90. I've just never managed to develop an affection for the AK design myself. To me, they are more of a collector's item.

Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #30
sardo67

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHvAfTU2haE