Welcome to the site where the owners and members have had it with playing "nice" and being "inclusive" and "tolerant" of points of view that are destroying the fabric of what made this country great. The members here are sick and tired of politicians of all parties lying, deceiving, stealing, and pretending they are doing it all for the good of the country while selling out to special interests who have the set goal of destroying this country. We have had enough of career politicians who use their office only for personal gain, and who refuse to listen to the people who put them in office. The membership is no longer part of the silent majority who play nice and get along while getting screwed by anyone with a loud voice and an agenda. We will no longer allow anyone to piss down our back and tell us it's raining. And we like guns too.

Go Back   DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC > Main > Gunsmithing
Photo Gallery DDB Store Arcade Register

Old 09-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Default Bulletboy's official FAL build progress thread

I pulled the old kit from the depths of the closet and did some dissassembly on it. Removed the handguard, gas tube, carry handle, and so on. Getting my hands dirty on it again gave me the encouragement to cowboy up and do this build myself. SO, although I think its going to be slow as hell compared to the time frame some of you guys could get it done in, I figured I might as well post the process.

At this point, I've noticed that I'm missing a shitload of parts, including the bolt and bolt carrier (I'd bitch about it, but I got this kit for free). I just ordered this http://estore.websitepros.com/832529/Detail.bok?no=327 to remedy that. Next I'm going to need the setup for removing the barrel. In the meantime, there'll be a more thorough dissassembly and cleaning of each part. I plan on blasting and Gunkoting everything (within reason).

Pics will come..
Bulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Sanders

Removing the barrel is the fun part -- take a dremel or small angle grinder and cut away the receiver stub on the left side in the charging handle channel. Just don't cut all the way through into your barrel's threads. Then take a chisel and pop that rascal off...:chinese

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

I might do that today, gotta wait till the other half gets home so she can keep an eye on the little one while I'm in the garage. Yesterday I re-watched both the AGI FAL dvd, and the Gunplumber videos, so I'm feelin good to go. Took a pic of what I'm workin with,

As you can see, I'm missing the bolt and carrier, top cover, magazine catch/release, and hinge pin. I did order the bolt and carrier yesterday as posted above, and I took an extra assignment for tuesday night which should get me the $200 I need for the missing and compliance parts.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #4
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Cut the receiver stub yesterday, but didnt have a chisel to break it free, so I went and got one today. Also just ordered a charging handle, an FCG, a pivot pin, and a magazine release set. Maybe this wont take as long as I thought!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
7.62x39

Did you find a top cover yet?
I have a spare, if you still need one.

If you want to send me a couple bucks to cover the postage you can have it.
7.62x39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletboy
Cut the receiver stub yesterday, but didnt have a chisel to break it free, so I went and got one today. Also just ordered a charging handle, an FCG, a pivot pin, and a magazine release set. Maybe this wont take as long as I thought!
Splitting that stub is pretty easy. Saw as deep as you can without getting into the barrel threads, and then a couple of good "whomps" with a hammer on the chisel, and she should split.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
RetVet
Statistical Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
Splitting that stub is pretty easy. Saw as deep as you can without getting into the barrel threads, and then a couple of good "whomps" with a hammer on the chisel, and she should split.
I have a VERY heavy duty barrel vice and quality receiver wrench and still had to resort to that method in getting an Imbel barrel off the stub. They do love to torque them boogers on sometimes!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

Yeah, it's easier to just split the stub than to wrestle with one that is stuck.
Pogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

7.62x39, I havent found a top cover yet, I was planning on ordering one from DSA because I want the picatinny on top. What type do you have?

The receiver stub took quite a few whacks to break the cut through all the way because I was paranoid about screwing up the threads, but I did get it. Then a few more whacks with the hammer and I unscrewed it by hand. The threads are still good as new, so I was naturally pretty happy about that! Got an email from gunpartsguy that my bolt and carrier shipped (yesterday I think), and my other parts should ship today or tomorrow I'm guessing. I can't wait..
Old 09-20-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

My Gun Kote arrived yesterday. I'll probably spray mine today or tommorow.

Yeah, it looks like your on a roll now.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
7.62x39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletboy
7.62x39, I havent found a top cover yet, I was planning on ordering one from DSA because I want the picatinny on top. What type do you have?
It's just a plain original factory Imbel cover, nothing fancy.
7.62x39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62x39
It's just a plain original factory Imbel cover, nothing fancy.
I definitely appreciate the offer, If you pm me how much you need for the shipping or whatever, I'll be happy to liberate it from ya!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:48 PM   #13
Bulletboy
Troubleshooter

Ok, after breaking off one of the tabs on the trigger return spring bracket as I had posted here, http://www.dirtydozensbunker.com/showthread.php?t=9704 I just came back in from the garage.

I went down to Home Depot and bought a length of steel box tubing that was approx the same gauge. It also happened to be almost the same distance from bend to bend, so I just cut a section the width of the bracket, and then cut it in half and filed it down. I drilled the hole, and dremeled the slot. I drilled out the welds on the original bracket but not all the way through into the lower, and knocked it right off. Then I spot welded the shit out of the new one (the second time, after I broke my first spot welds within a few minutes) and tried it out. I had to bend it a little to make up for the slight distance in length, and it works great so far. Hope it holds up! Heres pics. It was much prettier before I burnt the crap out of it with the welder.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
Cephus
The OLD COOT one and only

Ya did good !!!!!!
Keep us posted !!!
THAT IS BLOOD

Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #15
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea
Typing Test Champion

That should work just fine. You won't see it anyway after the rifle is assembled.