Trapping

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Johnny
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2024
    • 660

    Trapping

    I'm new to trapping. In the past month, I've been working to eradicate a group of muskrats that have been causing damage to my property. My tally after about a month stands at 9. At first, I thought I could simply shoot them. No dice. They remain underwater and active mostly at night. I switched to 110 pound conibear traps. They are humane and effective. When they activate, they kill the animal instantly (or as close to that as possible). Most of the time, the trap catches them in the neck. Instant death.

    Here's what I've learned:

    1. There's a learning curve with setting and positioning traps. You have to find the exact spot the animal with travel and make sure the trap is perfectly aligned. Frequently moving and re-positioning them is essential.

    2. My greatest concern was killing the WRONG animal in one of my traps: a turtle, a mink, an otter, etc... That hasn't happened.

    3. Even at age 62, my pencil thin arms still have the strength to easily set a 110 pound conibear trap without a tool.

    4. I simply toss the dead muskrats out into the woods, about 300 meters from the house, for the coyotes. They're the perfect cleaning crew.

    5. All in all, trapping for me is a chore, not a sport. Even so, I'm glad I've learned how to do it.
  • baboon
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2024
    • 947

    #2
    A friend in high school trapped them & mad money on the pelts

    Comment

    • Johnny
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2024
      • 660

      #3
      Originally posted by baboon
      A friend in high school trapped them & mad money on the pelts
      I've heard the same, but I don't think it's worth the money as I don't have the skill to process a hide or even who would buy it.

      The young dude at Ace Hardware who sold me one of the traps asked me what I was doing with the muskrats. When I told him I was simply tossing them in the woods, he asked if he could have them. I said "Sure. They're all yours. Free of charge."

      A couple days later, I caught one and texted him. He assumed I would be delivering the muskrats to his place of employment. I did for just one. I combined it with a couple other errands, so it wasn't that inconvenient.

      I never received a thanks or any acknowledgement, so figured he didn't really want them. After that, all the rest were tossed into the woods.

      Comment

      Working...