Gentleman prepare to defend yourselves.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 4thIDvet
    Slug
    • Oct 2024
    • 1823

    Gentleman prepare to defend yourselves.

    Hurricane one.webp Tropical Storm Isaias set to rapidly intensify into major Gulf hurricane

    Isaias will bring flooding and wind threats to the Gulf Coast and Southeast this weekend. Hurricane watches will soon be issued.

    Tropical Storm Isaias set to rapidly intensify into major hurricane

    Appears to be heading for the Fla. Panhandle A.O. and Louisiana area maybe?? Flooding will most likely be serious as a lot of rain is preceding the storm?

    PREP..
  • rto
    Moderator
    • Oct 2024
    • 854

    #2
    Kay's 90 something y/o aunt lives in Mobile. I told Kay to call her and tell her goodbye.

    Looks like GBob might get some rain too.

    Comment

    • 4thIDvet
      Slug
      • Oct 2024
      • 1823

      #3
      Originally posted by rto
      Kay's 90 something y/o aunt lives in Mobile. I told Kay to call her and tell her goodbye.

      Looks like GBob might get some rain too.
      90 ???? Nooooo not goodbye remember that thing called a will? "I love you so much and I am ready to risk my life driving up your way to keep you safe. Auntie if you need anything anything at all you call me. I love you my favorite aunt. $$$$$$$$$$

      Comment

      • merc
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2024
        • 448

        #4
        Big Merc and Mother Merc are quite elderly
        and in Naples

        MERC

        Comment


        • 4thIDvet
          4thIDvet commented
          Editing a comment
          They will be fine Merc hell were all getting old.
      • aviator
        Administrator
        • Oct 2024
        • 2347

        #5
        Naples will be fine, so is Sanibel, Been checking, in case of possible flood I have to run out there and get all sort of tools off the floor of the garage and upstairs in the house. I'm within walking distance to the ocean. water came up to six feet in 2022, then another storm was three feet. The golf cart I'd just park it away from the house in case that Lithium battery catches fire and it will get ruined anyhow. Garage in the bottom part of the house is enclosed with that hardi-board stuff, whatever it's called.
        Sometimes I wish I had a Harry Potter's wand and make people go up into smoke.

        Comment

        • Johnny
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2024
          • 668

          #6
          Sorry to hear my Florida brothers are dealing with potentially damaging storms. Stay safe.

          Comment

          • Sanders
            Moderator
            • Oct 2024
            • 1606

            #7
            The kid's house in the Pensacola area looks like it will get its new metal roof tested.

            Comment

            • 4thIDvet
              Slug
              • Oct 2024
              • 1823

              #8
              Originally posted by Sanders
              The kid's house in the Pensacola area looks like it will get its new metal roof tested.
              The old Fla. houses had metal roofs.. People building houses down here now almost always start out with shingles. The sun and heat bakes them and in a few years their getting a new $30 or $40+ thousand dollar roof. Waste of money with the shingles hell put the metal on to start with.
              Last edited by 4thIDvet; 10-09-2026, 07:04 AM.

              Comment

              • rto
                Moderator
                • Oct 2024
                • 854

                #9
                Originally posted by 4thIDvet

                The old Fla. houses had metal roofs.. People building houses down here now almost always start out with shingles. The sun and heat bakes them and in a few years their getting a new $30 or $40+ roof. Waste of money with the shingles hell put the metal on to start with.
                We're gonna have to replace our roofing in a year or two. Those metal architectural roof panels are the numbah one choice because they will look like a shingled roof.

                Comment

                • rto
                  Moderator
                  • Oct 2024
                  • 854

                  #10
                  Originally posted by Sanders
                  The kid's house in the Pensacola area looks like it will get its new metal roof tested.
                  Good luck to the kids. Looks like they're going to get stormed pretty hard.

                  Comment

                  • GBob01
                    Coonass Crusader
                    • Oct 2024
                    • 140

                    #11
                    Originally posted by rto
                    Kay's 90 something y/o aunt lives in Mobile. I told Kay to call her and tell her goodbye.

                    Looks like GBob might get some rain too.
                    Yeah, we're definitely expecting rain, some possibly heavy and some potential coastal flooding, but heck we get all that with our regular summertime thunder storms. About time we got something this year. Had been too quiet.

                    Y'all in that panhandle area, batten the hatches, and strap on your glosses.
                    RTO, best of luck to your relative in Mobile.

                    Comment

                    • aviator
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 2024
                      • 2347

                      #12
                      Metal roofs, I want to get one at the island house, I have it in Miami, that shit is not going anywhere, the hurricane would have to tear the whole roof up, the new standing seam metal roof, it's attached to the wood every 12 inches with a clip and two long screws, then that gets covered by the next length, edges are folded on to the side metals which are also screwed into the wood, there is no way water gets in or a storm taking it. I'm waiting for hurricane season to be over to get a quote.
                      Sometimes I wish I had a Harry Potter's wand and make people go up into smoke.

                      Comment

                      • 4thIDvet
                        Slug
                        • Oct 2024
                        • 1823

                        #13
                        Originally posted by GBob01
                        Yeah, we're definitely expecting rain, some possibly heavy and some potential coastal flooding, but heck we get all that with our regular summertime thunder storms. About time we got something this year. Had been too quiet.

                        Y'all in that panhandle area, batten the hatches, and strap on your glosses.
                        RTO, best of luck to your relative in Mobile.


                        6 to 7 foot storm surge expected. Cat 3 storm 'IF'? wind shear does not slow it down?

                        Comment

                        • Johnny
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2024
                          • 668

                          #14
                          Originally posted by aviator
                          Metal roofs, I want to get one at the island house, I have it in Miami, that shit is not going anywhere, the hurricane would have to tear the whole roof up, the new standing seam metal roof, it's attached to the wood every 12 inches with a clip and two long screws, then that gets covered by the next length, edges are folded on to the side metals which are also screwed into the wood, there is no way water gets in or a storm taking it. I'm waiting for hurricane season to be over to get a quote.
                          That's called "standing seam" metal roofing. We had it installed on our small 2 bedroom house about 5 years ago. Each piece is rolled out by a machine as it's installed; not quite a DIY option. It's the very best though. On our previous home we had steel shingles installed. Not sure the proper name.

                          For all our other outbuildings, I go with standard barn steel roofing. This is the best option for a DIY project as it's readily available, inexpensive, can be cut to size and fairly easy to work with. On the down side, every screw that's installed is a potential leak down the road.

                          Metal roofing isn't everyone's taste, but we're very happy with it. The greatest advantages over shingles here in Michigan is that metal sheds the snow, lasts longer, and is more resistant to fire. Disadvantages include higher cost, fewer roofing contractors, and zoning restrictions in some communities. Another one I found out is that depending upon pitch, sometimes metal roofs are too slick to walk on. Ask me how I found out!

                          Comment

                          • Sanders
                            Moderator
                            • Oct 2024
                            • 1606

                            #15
                            Kid's house is inside the extreme wind warning zone, currently with 115mph. Looks like it is going to almost go right over it.
                            Last edited by Sanders; 10-09-2026, 08:03 PM.

                            Comment

                            Working...